[Advisors] CIRA elections -- member slate

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 13:48:25 +0200

That's always the dilemma...

I think the key issue for me (which I guess that you have answered) is
whether or not he would see (and be a voice on the CIRA Board) for having
CIRA seeing its role as acting in "the public interest" rather than simply
in support of the narrower technical and commercial interests represented by
the Internet.  As in most countries, the initial concern with CIRA was the
technical well-being of the Internet infrastructure, but now that that is
more or less regularized there is the opportunity for institutions like CIRA
to become more "pro-active" in support of the public interest... Not
necessarily as "advocates" although that would be nice, but to support those
processes that in turn identify and enable the public interest and the
Internet.

As an aside, I sent a note to Byron Holland the CIRA CEO mentioning the IGF
panel and indicating that they might be interested in it, and offering to
report back to them on the panel (and not incidentally mentioning the need
for travel support--I did this at the urging of several folks from the
Internet Governance Caucus since it seems that one of the ways that various
Internet governance bodies are spending their money is supporting
participation at the IGF by civil society folks... That was about a month
ago and I'm still waiting for a reply...