[Advisors] CIRA elections -- member slate

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 01:47:22 -0600

I agree with Marita... the opportunity is to shape Kevin's position, not =
endorse or condemn it.

Give him what he's asking for (ammunition) and send him into battle.

This means concisely articulating TC's interests and objectives, and how =
CIRA could help to advance them.

Pitching net neutrality in an economic development context offers the =
best leverage against opposing forces.

CIRA can contribute to the problem (persisting disparities and growing =
opportunity costs) or the solution (community broadband).

JvL

On 2012-08-17, at 1:15 AM, "michael gurstein" <gurstein@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> While I agree that many of the younger folks in this space don't have =
> community networking experience I think that there is also a breed of
> younger advocates who aren't completely immersed in seeing the net as
> exclusively a biz opportunity.  While there may be a (limited) overlap =
in
> interests between open source/civil liberty etc. folks and folks =
concerned
> with digital inclusion for example I think it would be a good idea to =
test
> out Kevin's position on the latter issues since for example one of the
> strongest recent advocates for "net neutrality" in the US is Ron Paul =
and
> his libertarian supporters.
>=20
> I think the litmus test should be however, what sort of a role he sees =
for
> CIRA.  At the moment CIRA (like ICANN and a lot of such Internet tax
> harvesters) have more money than they know what to do with.  In the =
case of
> CIRA the mandate has been understood extremely narrowly as being to =
promote
> first the technical well being and more recently the commercial =
well-being
> of the Net.  This is by no means the norm and other national =
governance
> bodies--I mentioned NZ, UK, and BR are acting in a rather more =
pro-active
> way in supporting social well being in a digital environment. =
(Bringing this
> to broader attention is the underlying purpose of the IGF Workshop I =
pointed
> to earlier.)
>=20
> I think at a minimum we should expect Kevin to indicate what position =
he
> would advocate with respect to this issue.
>=20
> Best,
>=20
> MG