[Advisors] CIRA elections -- member slate

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 02:14:57 -0600

Neglected to add that the most concrete steps CIRA could take would be =
to adopt advocacy positions in favour of net neutrality and community =
broadband, given their importance to realizing the full economic and =
social utility of .ca domains.=20

An address facilitates economic and social engagement.

Net neutrality and community broadband do the same.

JvL

On 2012-08-17, at 1:47 AM, James Van Leeuwen <jvl@ventus.ca> wrote:

> I agree with Marita... the opportunity is to shape Kevin's position, =
not endorse or condemn it.
>=20
> Give him what he's asking for (ammunition) and send him into battle.
>=20
>=20
> This means concisely articulating TC's interests and objectives, and =
how CIRA could help to advance them.
>=20
> Pitching net neutrality in an economic development context offers the =
best leverage against opposing forces.
>=20
> CIRA can contribute to the problem (persisting disparities and growing =
opportunity costs) or the solution (community broadband).
>=20
> JvL
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 2012-08-17, at 1:15 AM, "michael gurstein" <gurstein@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>> While I agree that many of the younger folks in this space don't have =
>> community networking experience I think that there is also a breed of
>> younger advocates who aren't completely immersed in seeing the net as
>> exclusively a biz opportunity.  While there may be a (limited) =
overlap in
>> interests between open source/civil liberty etc. folks and folks =
concerned
>> with digital inclusion for example I think it would be a good idea to =
test
>> out Kevin's position on the latter issues since for example one of =
the
>> strongest recent advocates for "net neutrality" in the US is Ron Paul =
and
>> his libertarian supporters.
>>=20
>> I think the litmus test should be however, what sort of a role he =
sees for
>> CIRA.  At the moment CIRA (like ICANN and a lot of such Internet tax
>> harvesters) have more money than they know what to do with.  In the =
case of
>> CIRA the mandate has been understood extremely narrowly as being to =
promote
>> first the technical well being and more recently the commercial =
well-being
>> of the Net.  This is by no means the norm and other national =
governance
>> bodies--I mentioned NZ, UK, and BR are acting in a rather more =
pro-active
>> way in supporting social well being in a digital environment. =
(Bringing this
>> to broader attention is the underlying purpose of the IGF Workshop I =
pointed
>> to earlier.)
>>=20
>> I think at a minimum we should expect Kevin to indicate what position =
he
>> would advocate with respect to this issue.
>>=20
>> Best,
>>=20
>> MG
>>=20
Marita
>> Moll
>> Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:14 PM
>> To: Garth Graham
>> Cc: TC Advisors
>> Subject: Re: [Advisors] CIRA elections -- member slate
>>=20
>> Keep in mind that we are talking about a young new breed of Internet
>> advocate who hasn't been around the pillar and post of community =
networking
>> policy for all these many years.  I think this is an opportunity to =
educate
>> and build new alliances.  God knows we don't have a lot to lean on.
>>=20
>> And thanks for the quote from CIF. I think I used it last year and=20
>> forgot.   I will suggest he turn this back on them.  CIF itself has=20=

>> provided the rationale.  But how does this pan out in the actual day =
to=20
>> day work of CIRA and the CIRA board.   That is the question I am =
trying=20
>> to find some way of addressing
>>=20
>> Marita
>>=20
>> On 8/16/2012 12:31 PM, Garth Graham wrote:
>>> On 2012-08-15, at 8:58 AM, Marita Moll wrote:
>>>=20
>> things we would like to see added to this platform in return.
>>>=20
Can you

http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Publications/wp-InternetCIF-CanadaFut