[Advisors] CIRA elections -- member slate

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Tue, 21 Aug 2012 17:16:12 -0600

A sound strategy Michael, please excuse my impatience.

I am presently working on a digital strategy for a First Nation =
community in Alberta, which has no formal physical addressing for its =
homes, businesses or other properties.

I now fully appreciate how seriously this hinders accessibility within =
the community for interests from outside the community.=20

I had my own difficulties finding my way around, but then I happened =
across a service crew from the gas utility operator trying to find their =
way around the community.=20

After two and half hours, they were still unable to locate the property =
where they were supposed to be completing a hookup.=20

This is clearly detrimental for emergency services, commercial services =
and any other kinds of services delivered into the community by way of =
the community's ad hoc road network (there is no network structure plan, =
and no designated street names).=20

It is a serious impediment to realizing the full economic and social =
utility of the community's road network.

The community has no choice but to build and maintain it its own road =
network, because it is prohibitively expensive to pay someone else to do =
it.=20

In the process, they have created employment for community members.

There is little if any 'road engineering' per se, but at least their =
road network is openly accessible.

The gas crew and I were free to access any location within the community =
using our own vehicles, and without having to engage (or enrich) the =
owner/manager of the roads.=20

There was no traffic shaping, other than preventing heavy vehicles from =
accessing some of the softer roads.=20

Lack of street names and addresses were the principal obstacle to my =
productivity, which is intended to support the community in creating =
value for itself.=20

Community networks, net neutrality and addressing are all critically =
important to realizing the full economic and social utility of both road =
networks and broadband networks.=20

This is the strategic context from which I am working, and I feel it is =
important for key stakeholders like CIRA to be doing the same.=20

Improving the economic and social utility of .ca domain names is what =
best serves CIRA's own interests.

I find this easier to recognize and promote from within the broader =
context of optimizing the economic and social utility of networks.=20

JvL

On 2012-08-19, at 5:05 AM, "michael gurstein" <gurstein@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> I agree James but I would guess that they would see this as getting =
involved
> in "advocacy" which, given their current position would be rather a =
leap...
> My sense is that for example, having them support research or more =
extensive
> stakeholder forums (as they have begun to do) is way of potentially =
sidling
> them into the broader issues.
>=20
>=20

Of=20
>>> Marita Moll
>>> Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 8:14 PM
>>> To: Garth Graham
>>> Cc: TC Advisors
>>> Subject: Re: [Advisors] CIRA elections -- member slate
>>>=20
>>> Keep in mind that we are talking about a young new breed of Internet=20=

>>> advocate who hasn't been around the pillar and post of community=20
>>> networking policy for all these many years.  I think this is an=20
>>> opportunity to educate and build new alliances.  God knows we don't =
have
> a lot to lean on.
>>>=20
>>> And thanks for the quote from CIF. I think I used it last year and=20=

>>> forgot.   I will suggest he turn this back on them.  CIF itself has=20=

http://cira.ca/assets/Documents/Publications/wp-InternetCIF-CanadaF