[Advisors] ltr to InCan -- vers.2

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:28:59 -0500

Thanks to excellent feedback, here is a new=20
version of the letter to Mr. Winchester.  This=20
letter, with a few changes, can also serve as a=20
letter to Tony Clement.  Anyone else -- Peter=20
Mackay? I think it is about as long as we should=20
make it, but I will take a few more suggestions=20
if they come from regions not yet represented.

Dear Mr. Winchester

Please accept our best wishes for the New Year=20
and our thanks for the extended meeting on=20
December 8, 2011.  We appreciated your honest=20
comments and probing questions about the current=20
status of the CAP program.  We hope we were able=20
to communicate some of the exciting innovations=20
currently underway in this program which, we all=20
agree, needs complete rebranding.

We know there is a feeling, in the policy=20
community, that the CAP program is ready to be=20
absorbed into the library community.  We would=20
like to assure you that this is absolutely not=20
the case. To begin with, in the context of CAP=20
delivery, the term =93library=94 has never been=20
clearly defined. Libraries vary greatly across=20
the country.  In very small communities they=20
might consist of nothing more than a few shelves=20
of books and the ability to order books from a=20
distant main repository.  Some are only open a=20
few hours per week and staffed by a single=20
person.  They might be a small corner of a rural=20
municipal building that serves multiple=20
functions.  Here are a few reports describing the situation in various=
 areas:

=B7        The =93CAP site/library  model=94 simply is=20
not representative of the reality in Quebec.  In=20
last year=92s list of CAP sites released by=20
Industry Canada, there were only 20 registered=20
libraries among 634 CAP Sites from multiple Quebec networks.
=B7        In Nunavut, the libraries have no budget=20
for computers or technical support.  The only=20
support they receive for digital programs is through CAP.
=B7        In Saskatchewan, the 204 non-library CAP=20
sites have been providing internships for 10=20
years =96 a wealth of job training for young Canadians.
=B7        Montreal-based Communautique reports=20
that all 88 CAP sites using youth interns were=20
located in community centers.  There are no CAP=20
sites located in libraries in Montreal that=20
receive youth interns from CAP-YI.  No youth=20
interns =3D no ICT training capacity.
=B7        In PEI, none of the 38 CAP sites are in libraries.
=B7        In the Vancouver area, out of 102 sites,=20
only 20 of them are in libraries.
=B7        First Nation communities have very large=20
populations that depend on the CAP sites for=20
basic tasks such as completing job applications=20
and creating resumes.  First Nation communities rarely have public=
 libraries.

However, we want to point out that this local=20
independence is a positive element of the CAP=20
network that has allowed sites to become skills=20
training, economic development engines:

=B7        In Saskatchewan, the CAP sites in West=20
Central and East Central regions (136 sites)=20
provide leadership and resources for community=20
and economic development. Projects in First=20
Nation communities include a 2.5 million dollar=20
Centre of Excellence, 3 worker co-operatives,=20
development of small businesses on reserves, and=20
business training and skills development programs.
=B7        In Nova Scotia, although all public=20
libraries are part of the CAP network, CAP=20
funding goes directly into community development=20
projects at the local level, supports non-library=20
site development, and provides youth employment=20
and ICT skills development especially in rural areas.

The most economical method of delivering a=20
service that needs to respond to quickly changing=20
local needs is by using existing local channels.=20
We think that the CAP program (or whatever its=20
new incarnation) reflects this model. Closing=20
down sites not connected to libraries will=20
strangle substantial community innovation=20
activity growing out of these sites.  A report=20
from Nova Scotia explains, for example, that it=20
was CAP in some local areas that enabled=20
municipalities to take part in Industry Canada=92s=20
BizPal initiative. With a new focus on=20
social/economic development and wealth creation,=20
the program can continue to be a golden=20
opportunity to "connect" with Canadians around=20
technology in a cost effective way.

We hope you will agree to take some time in=20
January to meet with us again to discuss=20
different models that could preserve the program=20
while lessening the administration demands on=20
Industry Canada.  We are committed to finding=20
creative solutions to save this valuable=20
program.  But any solution will require Industry=20
Canada cooperation, so we are asking for your help.

Finally, further to the =93living labs=94 project=20
demonstrated at the December meeting, we would=20
like to share with you the attached pictures of=20
the Royal Couple visiting one of the =93living lab=94=20
sites in Montreal during their recent royal=20
tour.  Although this particular site is part of a=20
medical program, community installations now=20
being planned follow the same model.

Sincerely

Monique Chartrand
Patrick Dub=E9
Marita Moll
Darlene Thompson

On behalf of the Telecommunities Canada network