[Advisors] ltr to InCan -- vers.2

Eric Stackhouse estackho at nsngp.library.ns.ca
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 07:32:31 -0400

Hi Gareth.

You are right, that effort was led by the Canadian library association, spec=
ifically a number of large urban libraries. But there was a number of us in t=
he library community who refused to go along with this and spoke out against=
 it. CLA is now a shadow of itself, in part due to this attitude towards coo=
peration.
Eric

Sent from Eric's iPhone

On 2012-01-03, at 8:18 PM, Gareth Shearman <shearman@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:

> Some of you will remember that the libraries fought hard a number of years=
 back to be funded directly from Industry Canada (that did happen for about a=
 year) but then they were required to fall back under the community umbrella=
.  Thus library CAP sites are funded by the holders of the contribution agre=
ements, not directly.
>=20
> Gareth
>=20
> On 2012-01-03, at 12:48 PM, Thompson, Darlene wrote:
>=20
>> Norah,
>>=20
>> How would that work for the provinces/territories who's library systems d=
o not support IT but have a CAP site?  They haven't been absorbed into the l=
ibrary system - they are a supplement with totally separate funding streams.=