[Advisors] ltr for Tony Clement

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 20:28:43 +0000

Marita - this is great!

Darlene A. Thompson
Community Access Program Administrator
Nunavut Dept. of Education / N-CAP
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
E-mail:  dthompson@gov.nu.ca
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: advisors-admin@tc.ca [mailto:advisors-admin@tc.ca] On Behalf Of Marit=
a Moll
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:21 PM
To: advisors@tc.ca
Subject: [Advisors] ltr for Tony Clement

I have adjusted the letter to direct it specifically to Clement.  Don't mis=
s the cool "Clement" quote towards the end.  Norah and Lynda, will this wor=
k for you?  Would one of you attend this meeting -- if we get one?

Dear Minister Clement

In the early days of the Internet (1994), the Canadian federal government i=
nitiated a program that supported community based Internet access.  You are=
 very familiar with this program called CAP.  We know it plays an important=
 role in your riding.  We also know it needs complete rebranding.  Access, =
though still important and necessary, is no longer what drives this program=
.  Rather, it is its role as an incubator of community innovation and ICT s=
kills training that provides value.  It is very cost-effective, but still n=
eeds some basic level of support to achieve the stability necessary to run =
such programs.

We know there is a feeling, in the policy community, that the CAP program i=
s ready to be (or has already been) absorbed into the library community.  W=
e would like to assure you that this is absolutely not the case. To begin w=
ith, in the context of CAP delivery, the term "library" has never been clea=
rly defined. Libraries can be large, urban and full-service or tiny rural s=
atellite outposts staffed on a part-time basis.  In addition, they are ofte=
n unable to take advantage of the CAP-YI program due to existing collective=
 agreements. They may provide public access, which is still important and n=
ecessary in many areas, but without youth interns, their ability to provide=
 IT skills training or community economic development initiatives is severe=
ly limited.

Here are a few reports describing the situation in various areas:

*        The "CAP site/library  model" simply is=20
not representative of the reality in Quebec.  In last year's list of CAP si=
tes released by Industry Canada, there were only 20 registered libraries am=
ong 634 CAP Sites from multiple Quebec networks.
*        In Nunavut, 12 out of our 24 CAP sites=20
in libraries.  But these sites function independently of the library system=
 with totally separate funding streams.  If CAP funding disappears, there w=
ould be no youth interns to teach people at these sites, no computer upgrad=
es and no IT support.
*        In Saskatchewan, the 204 non-library CAP=20
sites have been providing internships for 10 years - a wealth of job traini=
ng for young Canadians.
*        Montreal-based Communautique reports=20
that all 88 CAP sites using youth interns were located in community centers=
.  There are no CAP sites located in libraries in Montreal that receive you=
th interns from CAP-YI.  No youth interns =3D no ICT training capacity.
*        In PEI, none of the 38 CAP sites are in libraries.
*        In the Vancouver area, out of 102 sites,=20
only 20 of them are in libraries.
*        First Nation communities have very large=20
populations that depend on the CAP sites for basic tasks such as completing=
 job applications and creating resumes.  First Nation communities rarely ha=
ve public libraries.
*        In Ontario, the TAG Innovation Centre=20
(Lindsay), which operates a unique e-waste disposal service, is not a libra=
ry and would close if federal funding were suspended.

We want to point out is that local control of site locations and partnershi=
ps is a positive element of the CAP network which has allowed sites to beco=
me skills training, economic development engines.  It should be promoted, n=
ot discouraged.

*        In Saskatchewan, the CAP sites in West=20
Central and East Central regions (136 sites) provide leadership and resourc=
es for community and economic development. Projects in First Nation communi=
ties include a 2.5 million dollar Centre of Excellence, 3 worker co-operati=
ves, development of small businesses on reserves, and business training and=
 skills development programs.
*        In Nova Scotia, although all public=20
libraries are part of the CAP network, CAP funding goes directly into commu=
nity development projects at the local level, supports non-library site dev=
elopment, and provides youth employment and ICT skills development especial=
ly in rural areas. It was CAP in some local areas that enabled municipaliti=
es to take part in Industry Canada's BizPal initiative.
*        In Nunavut, a full-fledged film industry=20
has grown up from early programs offered at the Clyde River CAP site teachi=
ng residents how to handle new film technologies.

Minister Clement, you were quoted in the Ottawa Citizen on January 4 saying=
 you "would like to let citizens make more decisions on local matters, rath=
er than having bureaucrats in government offices deciding what's best for c=
ommunities." You called it  "crowdsourcing". A program that uses the creati=
vity and innovation in the community to achieve social and economic benefit=
s the communities themselves have identified as important obviously follows=
 that model. Closing down sites not connected to libraries will strangle cr=
eative community innovation activity growing out of these sites.  This woul=
d be a step backwards in digital economy time.

We hope you will agree to meet with us in January to discuss different mode=
ls that could preserve the program. With a new focus on social/economic dev=
elopment and wealth creation, this program can continue to be a golden oppo=
rtunity to "connect"=20
with Canadians around technology in a cost effective way.  We are committed=
 to finding creative solutions to save this valuable program.  We are askin=
g for your help.

Sincerely

Gareth Shearman