[Advisors] ltr for Tony Clement

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed, 04 Jan 2012 15:20:30 -0500

I have adjusted the letter to direct it=20
specifically to Clement.  Don't miss the cool=20
"Clement" quote towards the end.  Norah and=20
Lynda, will this work for you?  Would one of you=20
attend this meeting -- if we get one?

Dear Minister Clement

In the early days of the Internet (1994), the=20
Canadian federal government initiated a program=20
that supported community based Internet=20
access.  You are very familiar with this program=20
called CAP.  We know it plays an important role=20
in your riding.  We also know it needs complete=20
rebranding.  Access, though still important and=20
necessary, is no longer what drives this=20
program.  Rather, it is its role as an incubator=20
of community innovation and ICT skills training=20
that provides value.  It is very cost-effective,=20
but still needs some basic level of support to=20
achieve the stability necessary to run such programs.

We know there is a feeling, in the policy=20
community, that the CAP program is ready to be=20
(or has already been) absorbed into the library=20
community.  We would like to assure you that this=20
is absolutely not the case. To begin with, in the=20
context of CAP delivery, the term =93library=94 has=20
never been clearly defined. Libraries can be=20
large, urban and full-service or tiny rural=20
satellite outposts staffed on a part-time=20
basis.  In addition, they are often unable to=20
take advantage of the CAP-YI program due to=20
existing collective agreements. They may provide=20
public access, which is still important and=20
necessary in many areas, but without youth=20
interns, their ability to provide IT skills=20
training or community economic development initiatives is severely limited.

Here are a few reports describing the situation in various areas:

=B7        The =93CAP site/library  model=94 simply is=20
not representative of the reality in Quebec.  In=20
last year=92s list of CAP sites released by=20
Industry Canada, there were only 20 registered=20
libraries among 634 CAP Sites from multiple Quebec networks.
=B7        In Nunavut, 12 out of our 24 CAP sites=20
in libraries.  But these sites function=20
independently of the library system with totally=20
separate funding streams.  If CAP funding=20
disappears, there would be no youth interns to=20
teach people at these sites, no computer upgrades and no IT support.
=B7        In Saskatchewan, the 204 non-library CAP=20
sites have been providing internships for 10=20
years =96 a wealth of job training for young Canadians.
=B7        Montreal-based Communautique reports=20
that all 88 CAP sites using youth interns were=20
located in community centers.  There are no CAP=20
sites located in libraries in Montreal that=20
receive youth interns from CAP-YI.  No youth=20
interns =3D no ICT training capacity.
=B7        In PEI, none of the 38 CAP sites are in libraries.
=B7        In the Vancouver area, out of 102 sites,=20
only 20 of them are in libraries.
=B7        First Nation communities have very large=20
populations that depend on the CAP sites for=20
basic tasks such as completing job applications=20
and creating resumes.  First Nation communities rarely have public=
 libraries.
=B7        In Ontario, the TAG Innovation Centre=20
(Lindsay), which operates a unique e-waste=20
disposal service, is not a library and would=20
close if federal funding were suspended.

We want to point out is that local control of=20
site locations and partnerships is a positive=20
element of the CAP network which has allowed=20
sites to become skills training, economic=20
development engines.  It should be promoted, not discouraged.

=B7        In Saskatchewan, the CAP sites in West=20
Central and East Central regions (136 sites)=20
provide leadership and resources for community=20
and economic development. Projects in First=20
Nation communities include a 2.5 million dollar=20
Centre of Excellence, 3 worker co-operatives,=20
development of small businesses on reserves, and=20
business training and skills development programs.
=B7        In Nova Scotia, although all public=20
libraries are part of the CAP network, CAP=20
funding goes directly into community development=20
projects at the local level, supports non-library=20
site development, and provides youth employment=20
and ICT skills development especially in rural=20
areas. It was CAP in some local areas that=20
enabled municipalities to take part in Industry Canada=92s BizPal=
 initiative.
=B7        In Nunavut, a full-fledged film industry=20
has grown up from early programs offered at the=20
Clyde River CAP site teaching residents how to handle new film technologies.

Minister Clement, you were quoted in the Ottawa=20
Citizen on January 4 saying you =93would like to=20
let citizens make more decisions on local=20
matters, rather than having bureaucrats in=20
government offices deciding what's best for=20
communities.=94 You called it  =93crowdsourcing=94. A=20
program that uses the creativity and innovation=20
in the community to achieve social and economic=20
benefits the communities themselves have=20
identified as important obviously follows that=20
model. Closing down sites not connected to=20
libraries will strangle creative community=20
innovation activity growing out of these=20
sites.  This would be a step backwards in digital economy time.

We hope you will agree to meet with us in January=20
to discuss different models that could preserve=20
the program. With a new focus on social/economic=20
development and wealth creation, this program can=20
continue to be a golden opportunity to "connect"=20
with Canadians around technology in a cost=20
effective way.  We are committed to finding=20
creative solutions to save this valuable program.  We are asking for your=
 help.

Sincerely

Gareth Shearman