[Advisors] CAP futures workshop - new leads

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:00:41 -0500

Hello all.  I had a chat with Karen Parusel the other day.  Karen is
in the N.S. department of education and CAP programs in N.S. flow
through her department.  I was very pleased to hear that there would
be a substantial contingent of CAP administrators/practitioners from
Atlantic Canada (incl. PEI and NFLD) at the B.C. Summit -- possibly
up to 20 people!!  So, this is going to be a rare opportunity to
connect with our colleagues from coast to coast to coast and we
really need to make the best of it.

Karen and the Atlantic contingent has offered to take the lead on the
CAP futures workshop.  They have, in the past few years, studied and
experimented with various new forms of working in groups toward a
common solution to problems and will be bringing some of this
experience to the workshop.  God knows, we need some new thinking on
all of this.

The topic as was outlined here is a good starting point: Advancing
Community Access in Canada: Toward a Better Strategy

This round table session will examine access strategies built around
fostering community leadership and investment.  It will specifically
seek input on how to reposition the CAP program to meet current
policy objectives which center on community economic
development.  Participants will also share stories and consider best
ways to sell such a vision to elected representatives at various
levels.  Discussion will be led by CAP administrators from Nova
Scotia, Nunavut, B.C. and Alberta.

But I'm happy to hand it over to the Atlantic contingent for further
refinement and submission to the Summit for approval and looking
forward to participating in the session.

Marita