[Advisors] article re: the non-showing of CAP documentary

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:46:21 -0400

Although the headline is a bit misleading, I think this is a fairly
balanced story about the controversy over the CAP documentary that
was not shown at the BC summit.  Just to add a bit more detail, the
film was never banned at the Summit.  Even as the Summit was already
underway, there were difficulties in finding a good time slot for the
film.  So where and when it was to be shown was still up in the air
when the surprising e-mail, asking that it not be shown,
landed.  This was pretty shocking for everyone who knew about it.  It
was an issue we were just unprepared to address in mid-conference
like that. So, the e-mail had it's intended effect. Nothing was
cancelled -- but nothing was offered either.

Had this not happened, some of us probably would have got together,
found a room, bought some popcorn and announced the showing -- which
some people would have attended and enjoyed.  But it wouldn't have
generated various requests for information from the press in Nova
Scotia or an article like the one below.

Talk about creating a crisis...................

><http://halifax.openfile.ca/halifax/text/film-free-internet-cap-sites-stifled-province>http://halifax.openfile.ca/halifax/text/film-free-internet-cap-sites-stifled-province

Marita