[Advisors] Let community re-think community

Gary Kenward GaryKenward at eastlink.ca
Sun, 06 May 2012 14:03:45 -0300

--B_3419157825_896923

As compared to say the US (have you followed the republican primary)? Or th=
Greeks?

Regardless, the first step is to stop beating ourselves up over what we are
not.

Gary

On 12.05.06 1:32 PM, "James Van Leeuwen" <jvl@ventus.ca> wrote:

> It says that Canadians still don't have the emotional and intellectual
> maturity for substantive discourse around morals and values.
>=20
> It says we need to grow up.
>=20
> James
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 2012-05-05, at 1:22 PM, Garth Graham wrote:
>=20
>> > On 2012-05-05, at 12:19 AM, James Van Leeuwen wrote:
>> >=20
>>> challenge we Canadians face today is that we have so many conflicting
>>> visions of what we want our society to look like. =8A  What we lack is
>>> sufficient moral capital to bind the nation into a common and cohesive
>>> society with a meaningful purpose and a coherent vision for itself.  =8A
>>> Without an appealing new moral vision and narrative to bind us together=
,
>>> collaboration and cooperation across groups will be next to impossible.
>> >=20
>> > James, I congratulate you on risking discussion of values when, from m=
>> experience, the tolerance of Canadians for matters philosophical is pret=
ty
>> limited.  The first and only time I dared wade into that debate about
>> narrative was in June of 1994 (see attached report of a workshop on
>> electronic democracy).  The report predicts, accurately, that without on=
going
>> discussion of values there would be no real basis for effective public
>> policies about Canada's transformation into a digital society.  What doe=
s a
>> silence that's now 18 years deep say about the current content of public
>> policy?
>> >=20
>> > GG
>> >=20
>> > <Values debate.rtf>
>=20

Gary Kenward

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL

--B_3419157825_896923

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Advisors] Let community re-think community</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt=
'>As compared to say the US (have you followed the republican primary)? Or t=
he Greeks?<BR>
<BR>
Regardless, the first step is to stop beating ourselves up over what we are=
 not.<BR>
<BR>
Gary<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 12.05.06 1:32 PM, &quot;James Van Leeuwen&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"jvl@ventus.=
ca">jvl@ventus.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><FONT FACE=3D"Consolas=
, Courier New, Courier">It says that Canadians still don't have the emotiona=
l and intellectual maturity for substantive discourse around morals and valu=
es.<BR>
<BR>
It says we need to grow up.<BR>
<BR>
James<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
On 2012-05-05, at 1:22 PM, Garth Graham wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&gt; On 2012-05-05, at 12:19 AM, James Van Leeuwen wrote:<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt;&gt; Garth asks:<BR>
&gt;&gt; What kind of a society do we want? &#8230; &nbsp;I think the very =
essence of the challenge we Canadians face today is that we have so many con=
flicting visions of what we want our society to look like. &#8230; &nbsp;Wha=
t we lack is sufficient moral capital to bind the nation into a common and c=
ohesive society with a meaningful purpose and a coherent vision for itself. =
&nbsp;&#8230; &nbsp;Without an appealing new moral vision and narrative to b=
ind us together, collaboration and cooperation across groups will be next to=
 impossible.<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; James, I congratulate you on risking discussion of values when, from m=
y experience, the tolerance of Canadians for matters philosophical is pretty=
 limited. &nbsp;The first and only time I dared wade into that debate about =
narrative was in June of 1994 (see attached report of a workshop on electron=
ic democracy). &nbsp;The report predicts, accurately, that without ongoing d=
iscussion of values there would be no real basis for effective public polici=
es about Canada's transformation into a digital society. &nbsp;What does a s=
ilence that's now 18 years deep say about the current content of public poli=
cy?<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; GG<BR>
&gt; <BR>
&gt; &lt;Values debate.rtf&gt;<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><FONT FACE=3D"Consola=
s, Courier New, Courier"><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000080"><FONT FACE=3D"Skia, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><=

<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"3" WIDTH=3D"95%"></FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Skia, Verda=
na, Helvetica, Arial"><FONT COLOR=3D"#0A0032">Gary Kenward<BR>
</FONT></FONT></SPAN><FONT COLOR=3D"#300094"><FONT SIZE=3D"1"><FONT FACE=3D"Comic=
 Sans MS"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:8pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"1"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:8pt'><FON=
T COLOR=3D"#FF0000"><FONT FACE=3D"Engravers MT">THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THI=
S DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL</FONT></FONT></SPAN></FONT><FONT FACE=
=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:12pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3419157825_896923--