[Advisors] RE: [CommunityInformaticsCanada] What happens when the adoption money runs out?

Susan O'Donnell susanodo at unb.ca
Mon, 5 Nov 2012 16:29:52 +0000

--_000_37F217042E4341429AC4B9D470C115272BD63FC7saladunbca_

Hi thanks James,

By bringing up community fibre initiatives you've provided me with an excel=
lent opportunity to promote one of the research / outreach projects I'm inv=
olved in, the First Mile, with partners Simon Fraser University and Keewayt=
inook Okimakanak, the First Nations Education Council, and Atlantic Canada'=
s First Nation Help Desk. The project website has more than 50 stories and =
videos of First Mile projects (what the article you circulated refers to as=
 the Last Mile of broadband infrastructure). Several of the communities pro=
filed are in the process of rolling out their own local fibre networks and =
in fact these activities are well underway in First Nations in Ontario, Que=
bec and the Atlantic region. The website also has a report based on a compr=
ehensive literature review and community consultations:

http://firstmile.ca

Rob McMahon, a PhD candidate at Simon Fraser U who has been working on the =
project since the start is the lead author of a journal publication discuss=
ing the concept in detail as to how First Mile relates to First Nation comm=
unities in Canada. The journal article can be accessed here:
http://ir.lib.uwo.ca/iipj/vol2/iss2/2/

Our sister research project, VideoCom, has a number of articles discussing =
the First Mile concept in the context of particular First Nation communitie=
s, including:

Kitigan Zibi First Nation in Quebec:
http://meeting.knet.ca/mp19/mod/book/view.php?id=3D1722&chapterid=3D1989

Fort Severn First Nation in Ontario:
http://meeting.knet.ca/mp19/mod/book/view.php?id=3D1722&chapterid=3D1441

I hope anyone interested in this topic will take the time to visit some of =
these links. Good luck with your own activities James... if you see any val=
ue in discussing strategy with our project let me know. We meet every month=
 by multi-site videoconference to discuss strategy and next steps.

Best,
Susan

Dr. Susan O'Donnell, Researcher and Adjunct Professor
Department of Sociology, University of New Brunswick
PO Box 1122, Fredericton, NB, Canada E3B 5C2
susanodo@unb.ca<mailto:susanodo@unb.ca>
Office: 506-444-0374
Cell: 506-238-7572
http://videocom.firstnation.ca