[Advisors] Canada UPR submission - can we endorse

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon, 8 Oct 2012 20:11:16 -0700

Hi Shawna and all,

(I'm leaving on Thursday for work/travel and won't have much time until I
get back mid-November to discuss this further...

However, one suggestion would be to set up an email list specifically to
discuss and extend the document, the follow-on, and Internet policy in
Canada from a civil society perspective; what changes might be needed in it
if it is to move forward (I'm unclear whether this input is a once for all
or can be modified/added to for a future contribution); and invite all and
sundry to join and contribute (while making some specific invitations to
seed the discussion).

I would suggest that the e-list begin with the same set of initial
sponsors/endorsees as for the document.  (If there are problems with the
mechanics of an e-list (as there often seems to be), I could set one up more
or less instantaneously through Vancouver Community Net who currently host
the half-dozen e-lists that I'm currently responsible for.) (I could set one
up like this myself, and have done so in the past but my feeling is that it
should be done as part of a coalition building exercise and should have
multiple initial sponsors and some initial dedicated time resources put into
it to make it fly. Something which has not, for various reasons, been
possible to date...

I would also like to see some sort of formal convening at some point (a face
to face Civil Society conference on Internet policy issues in Canada
sometime over the next year).  I think it would make considerable sense to
do it in conjunction with the Open Data/Open Government Data folks--there
isn't as much overlap of individuals between these two communities as there
should be but there is certainly an overlap in overall policy orientation.

What role APC, a relatively new (but of course --Web Networks--something of
a founding) player on this block could play I'm not sure, but sometimes
new/old kids can unfreeze a situation that has become rather stale...  so go
for it...

Anyway you asked.