[Advisors] CIRA elections -- my picks

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Fri, 21 Sep 2012 16:39:45 -0400

--------------050009020603000407060506

Hello everyone.  If you are a member of CIRA (Canadian Internet
Registration Authority) you can now cast your vote for the board of
directors.  There will be 5 new directors chosen this year.  The voting
period is from *Sept. 19-Sept 26 (next Wednesday)*.  I have been
participating in the online debates and met a number of the candidates
at this week's CIRA AGM.  There are my picks for director:

Member's slate:

*Kevin McArthur* -- has really worked hard all year around for the last
few years to keep watch on CIRA.  Very knowledgeable both technically
and policy-wise.  Has a very activist agenda and will be a good check on
the corporatist agenda

*Michael Geist* -- well known and respected, public policy oriented with
lots of influence outside of the Board.  I particularly like his
promotion of a new governance model which would separate the registry
function from an independent, public policy arm supported by some of the
revenues generated by the registry.

Nomination Committee slate:

*Bill Sandiford* (founding member and president of CNOC -- Canadian
Network Operators Consortium -- very respected in the ISP community)

*William Gibson* (former CEO of MEC -- lots of board experience,  comes
across as very energetic and really solution focused.  Although he is a
relative newcomer to the domain name business, he has done the homework
and can talk the talk.  He is also on my list because he was a full
participant in the election forum -- unlike most of the other nomination
committee candidates -- so, despite the fact that I completely disagree
with his stand on election reform, at least I know about it, so I will
give him a vote.

*Carole Mackaay* -- only woman on the nomination committee list, and I
am reluctant to vote for an all-male slate.  Carole is a Quebec-based
lawyer, has lots experience in governance, worked for Molson and ViaRail
and is on the board of the National Youth Orchestra of Canada.
Unfortunately, she really doesn't know much about the domain name
business or Internet policy.  But governance issues do overlap.  I think
CIRA really dropped the ball here in not having more women on this part
of the slate and I will make that point with them when this is all over.

These are my thoughts.  Please vote.  CIRA is a Canadian public
resource, a non-profit company that belongs to you and me.  Let's make
our voices heard.

Marita

--------------050009020603000407060506

<head>

</head>
Hello everyone.&nbsp; If you are a member of CIRA (Canadian Internet
Registration Authority) you can now cast your vote for the board of
directors.&nbsp; There will be 5 new directors chosen this year.&nbsp; The voting
period is from <b>Sept. 19-Sept 26 (next Wednesday)</b>.&nbsp; I have been
participating in the online debates and met a number of the candidates
at this week's CIRA AGM.&nbsp; There are my picks for director:<br>
Member's slate:&nbsp; <br>
<b>Kevin McArthur</b> -- has really worked hard all year around for the
last few years to keep watch on CIRA.&nbsp; Very knowledgeable both
technically and policy-wise.&nbsp; Has a very activist agenda and will be a
good check on the corporatist agenda<br>
<b>Michael Geist</b> -- well known and respected, public policy
oriented with lots of influence outside of the Board.&nbsp; I particularly
like his promotion of a new governance model which would separate the
registry function from an independent, public policy arm supported by
some of the revenues generated by the registry.<br>
Nomination Committee slate: <br>
<b>Bill Sandiford</b> (founding member and president of CNOC --
Canadian Network Operators Consortium -- very respected in the ISP
community)<br>
<b>William Gibson</b> (former CEO of MEC -- lots of board experience,&nbsp;
comes across as very energetic and really solution focused.&nbsp; Although
he is a relative newcomer to the domain name business, he has done the
homework and can talk the talk.&nbsp; He is also on my list because he was a
full participant in the election forum -- unlike most of the other
nomination committee candidates -- so, despite the fact that I
completely disagree with his stand on election reform, at least I know
about it, so I will give him a vote.<br>
<b>Carole Mackaay</b> -- only woman on the nomination committee list,
and I am reluctant to vote for an all-male slate.&nbsp; Carole is a
Quebec-based lawyer, has lots experience in governance, worked for
Molson and ViaRail and is on the board of the National Youth Orchestra
of Canada. Unfortunately, she really doesn't know much about the domain
name business or Internet policy.&nbsp; But governance issues do overlap.&nbsp; I
think CIRA really dropped the ball here in not having more women on
this part of the slate and I will make that point with them when this
is all over.<br>
These are my thoughts.&nbsp; Please vote.&nbsp; CIRA is a Canadian public
resource, a non-profit company that belongs to you and me.&nbsp; Let's make
our voices heard. <br>
Marita<br>

--------------050009020603000407060506--