[Advisors] Harper government is attacking our privacy by sneaking new online spy rules into a giant omnibus bill

Monique Chartrand monique.chartrand at communautique.qc.ca
Wed Dec 11 13:33:15 PST 2013

Partage:

Dear friends,

The Harper government is attacking our civil liberties, hiding new spy rules inside a giant bill. They say it’s to protect our kids but it really harms us all. The last time Harper tried to sneak a bill like this past us, citizens fought back and won -- let’s do it again! Click now to stop them from eyeing our inboxes and share with everyone:

The Harper government is attacking our privacy by sneaking new online spy rules into a giant omnibus bill. They could act very soon -- but a massive outcry can stop them from eyeing our inboxes.

They say it’s about protecting kids from cyber bullying, but only four of its 70 pages deal with the issue. The rest could systematically dismantle key civil liberties making it easier for authorities to spy on everything we do online, and easier for them to covertly track our movements using our own phones.

The last time Harper tried to sneak a bill like this past us, citizens fought back and won by creating an uproar in the press -- let’s do it again! Click now to stop them from eyeing our inboxes. When 50,000 sign we’ll launch a massive media storm in key Ministers' ridings to make sure they feel the heat from their own constituents:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/harpers_web_loc/?bmjKobb&v=32479

It’s such a tragedy. Rehtaeh Parsons and Amanda Todd endured years of torment at the hands of bullies and were ultimately driven to take their own lives. It hurts to think about how bleak the world must have looked for these girls, and it’s painful knowing that it could happen again. It’s clear that we need to stop online bullying, but it doesn't need to be at the expense of our civil liberties: this bill should be withdrawn and the cyber bullying rules reintroduced independently.

It’s awful to think that the Harper government is using these tragedies to try to sneak a law past all of us. They’re pulling at our heart-strings and hoping we won’t notice while they slash and burn our right to online privacy, but if we can see this bill for what it really is and stand strong against it, we can help make sure its worst provisions don’t pass -- just like we all did last time they tried this.

Click now to take action, and show Harper that he needs to let MPs vote on an anti-bullying bill that will save kids without also selling our privacy down the river.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/harpers_web_loc/?bmjKobb&v=32479

The government has already tried and failed to strip our civil liberties in a bill allegedly designed to keep our kids safe from child pornographers. But when we showed them we were prepared to fight to defend our rights they killed the bill and now we can take them on again to protect our online privacy.

With hope,

Jeremy, Ari, Emma, Ricken, Melanie, and the entire Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION

The Cyberbullying Bill Is A Virtual Big Brother in Disguise (Huffington Post)
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/michael-geist/harper-cyberbullying-bill_b_4317791.html

Privacy watchdog coalition slams surveillance (24hrs Vancouver)
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/10/10/privacy-watchdog-coalition-slams-surveillance

New cyber-bullying bill may threaten civil liberties (Edmonton Journal)
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Simons+cyber+bullying+bill+threaten+civil+liberties/9192160/story.html

Online Spying is back - here’s what Canadians are saying (Open Media)
https://openmedia.ca/blog/online-spying-back-here%E2%80%99s-what-canadians-are-saying

Ottawa’s proposed law on ‘cyberbullying’ attacks civil rights (Vancouver Observer)
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/politics/commentary/ottawa%E2%80%99s-proposed-law-%E2%80%98cyberbullying%E2%80%99-attacks-civil-rights

Conservatives kill controversial ‘child pornographers’ Internet surveillance bill (National Post)
http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/11/conservatives-kill-controversial-internet-surveillance-bill/

Support the Avaaz Community!
We're entirely funded by donations and receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated team ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way.

Avaaz.org is a 31-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

You are getting this message because you signed "Save Sakineh" on 2010-11-02 using the email address celine-desjardins at videotron.ca.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).