[Advisors] Re: [CommunityInformaticsCanada] FW: [governance] US: FCC proposes large public WiFi networks; tech, telecom giants take sides

Susan O'Donnell susanodo at unb.ca
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 14:48:38 +0000

--_000_37F217042E4341429AC4B9D470C1152737881651Haladunbca_

Hi all,

James I've been enjoying your last few posts, thank you.

I wanted to add some info to the situation in Fredericton, since the quote =
from our mayor Brad Woodside:

"We don't charge you to walk on our sidewalks. Why would we charge you for =
broadband?

... generated some discussion around free public access to wifi. The City o=
f Fredericton launched the first municipally-run free-to-users public wifi =
network in Canada (as far as I understand). It WAS developed by municipal t=
ax dollars (ie property tax) and became known as the Fred eZone. However th=
e city is very business-oriented and the municipal fibre network that suppo=
rts the Fred eZone and many other applications was developed primarily to a=
ttract and support business development in the downtown core (Fred eZone is=
 also available on the university campus and the airport). Many other appli=
cations on the network are purely business-oriented. The fact that the free=
 wifi can be accessed downtown by anyone is from the city's perspective a n=
ice bonus to the core business. So it is a business and run as a business. =
I think it is a great model that can be replicated elsewhere.

BTW, a case study of the Fred e-zone and the municipally-owned wireless net=
work will be included in a Journal of Community Informatics issue available=
 later this year, special issue on the "First Mile" of broadband infrastruc=
ture. The Fred e-Zone has also been the subject of at least one PhD dissert=
ation by Alison Powell when she was with the CRACIN project. I just googled=
 that and found only a few dead links - maybe someone else can circulate th=
e publication.

Thanks and regards,
Susan

Dr. Susan O'Donnell, Researcher and Adjunct Professor
Department of Sociology, University of New Brunswick
PO Box 1122, Fredericton, NB, Canada E3B 5C2
susanodo@unb.ca<mailto:susanodo@unb.ca>
Office: 506-444-0374
Cell: 506-238-7572
http://videocom.firstnation.ca