[Advisors] Openparliament.ca

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Sun, 10 Feb 2013 14:49:50 -0700

--Apple-Mail=_D5379B9D-9C39-474E-BA06-4E0F2850A6D6

They see the problem Darlene.

They just can't do anything about it.=20

I confer regularly with an associate who has consulted to the Government =
on rural broadband infrastructure.=20

If there is no opportunity for the private sector to profit from public =
investment in infrastructure, it doesn't get built.

Public-Private Partnership (P3) is the only game in town, but the =
business case for rural/remote infrastructure is too weak for the =
private sector to take seriously.=20

Unless they are at risk of a serious penalty for regulatory =
non-compliance.

Government lacks not only sufficient money for needed infrastructure =
investments, but expertise to properly structure and manage the =
investments.

This became strikingly clear during the last program for rural and =
northern broadband funding, which my consulting associate got to watch =
up close.

Industry has lots of money they could use for building rural =
infrastructure, but they want government to carry more than its fair =
share of risk.

Government can't afford to carry more than its fair share of risk, so =
nothing substantive happens.

We are offered only band-aids and fig leaves, and told reassuringly that =
these will more than suffice to meet our needs... despite ample proof to =
the contrary.

Lots of foreign investors would be willing to carry their fair share of =
risk, if they were allowed to control the infrastructure they were =
investing in.

This is how remote communities in Afghanistan ended up with better =
broadband than remote communities in Canada.

But foreign investors aren't allowed to control infrastructure in =
Canada, and the Canadian industry is determined to keep it that way.=20

The Government could do something about it, if they knew what they were =
doing.

But the Government doesn't know what it is doing.=20

It cannot even get reliable legal counsel, because industry keeps all of =
the country's top telecom lawyers on retainer (--> conflict of interest =
for the lawyers).

The upshot is that our Government is incapable of addressing our growing =
rural/remote infrastructure deficit.

Even if they sincerely want to - which I doubt - they cannot respond to =
the need.=20

If they ever deliver a credible digital strategy as promised, I already =
question their ability to implement it.=20

For the foreseeable future, the only way smaller communities in Canada =
will get the broadband infrastructure they need is if they take the =
initiative and build it themselves.=20

Like Eastern Ontario, Coquitlam, Olds, Stratford and other smaller =
communities have already done.

That said...

The Alberta SuperNet offers a sobering lesson in what can go wrong in a =
P3 when a government partner doesn't know what it is doing.

The best rural backbone infrastructure in the world is languishing, =
because there is no meaningful incentive for the principal private =
sector partner to leverage the network.

Government (foolishly) carried more than its fair share of risk, and the =
private partner has been collecting virtually all of the rewards.

These rewards have come at considerable financial expense to a second =
private partner, and at far greater expense in opportunities for rural =
Albertans.=20

The fundamental problem was that Government didn't understand the risks, =
and the private partner did.

The Government didn't know what it was doing, and this is what we must =
come to terms with right across Canada.

Stop looking to senior government, because they aren't up to the =
challenge.

We have to meet the challenge ourselves.=20

JvL

On 2013-02-10, at 12:10 PM, "Thompson, Darlene" <DThompson1@gov.nu.ca> =
wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> Its rather interesting.  This week I am in a very remote community in =
Nunavut (Arctic Bay) enabling a project on E-Story Telling.  Staying in =
the same hotel with me (actually the ONLY hotel in town) are two guys =
for the Department of National Defence.  Both these guys had to do tours =
of duty in Afghanistan and they were saying that even in the most remote =
back-woods areas in that country, they had better internet speeds than =
we do in this community.  AND THIS IS CANADA!  When will our government =
see that there is just something wrong with this picture?
Moll [mmoll@ca.inter.net]
> Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 7:47 PM
> To: TC Advisors
> Subject: [Advisors] Openparliament.ca
>=20
> openparliament.ca<http://openparliament.ca>
>=20
> This is a truly amazing site -- easy and fully searchable access to =
debates in the HofC.  Try searching for "community access program" and =
see all the times this was brought up during and after the decision to =
kill the program and by whom and what was said.  It certainly didn't die =
without a fight.
>=20
> There has been no mention of CAP for some time.  I'm wondering how we =
might use the information available here to bring it back to the table.  =
Anybody got some stories to report about the impact of the loss of the =
program that could be fed to a friendly local MP?
>=20
> Other ideas?
>=20
> Marita
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail=_D5379B9D-9C39-474E-BA06-4E0F2850A6D6

charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
confer regularly with an associate who has consulted to the Government =
is no opportunity for the private sector to profit from public =
investment in infrastructure, it doesn't get =
only game in town, but the business case for rural/remote infrastructure =
is too weak for the private sector to take =
serious penalty for regulatory =
not only sufficient money for needed infrastructure investments, but =
expertise to properly structure and manage the =
during the last program for rural and northern broadband funding, which =
my consulting associate got to watch up =
could use for building rural infrastructure, but they want government to =
carry more than its fair share of =
than its fair share of risk,&nbsp;so nothing substantive =
leaves, and told reassuringly that these will more than suffice to meet =
our needs...&nbsp;despite ample proof to the =
investors would be willing to carry their fair share of risk, if they =
were allowed to control the infrastructure they were investing =
Afghanistan ended up with better broadband than remote communities in =
control infrastructure in Canada, and the Canadian industry is =
Government could do something about it, if they knew what they were =
legal counsel, because industry keeps all of the country's top telecom =
lawyers on retainer (--&gt; conflict of interest for the =
<u>incapable</u> of addressing our growing rural/remote infrastructure =
I doubt - they cannot respond to the =
digital strategy as promised, I already question their ability to =
Canada will get the broadband infrastructure they need is if they take =
the initiative and build it =
Coquitlam, Olds, Stratford and other smaller communities have already =
offers a sobering lesson in what can go wrong in a P3 when a government =
rural backbone infrastructure in the world is languishing,&nbsp;because =
there is no meaningful incentive for the principal private sector =
(foolishly) carried more than its fair share of risk, and the private =
partner has been collecting virtually all of the =
considerable financial expense to a second private partner, and at far =
greater expense in opportunities for rural =
that Government didn't understand the risks, and the private partner =
doing, and this is what we must come to terms with right across =
have to meet the challenge =
v>On 2013-02-10, at 12:10 PM, "Thompson, Darlene" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:DThompson1@gov.nu.ca">DThompson1@gov.nu.ca</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">Hi all,<br><br>Its rather interesting. &nbsp;This week I =
am in a very remote community in Nunavut (Arctic Bay) enabling a project =
on E-Story Telling. &nbsp;Staying in the same hotel with me (actually =
the ONLY hotel in town) are two guys for the Department of National =
Defence. &nbsp;Both these guys had to do tours of duty in Afghanistan =
and they were saying that even in the most remote back-woods areas in =
that country, they had better internet speeds than we do in this =
community. &nbsp;AND THIS IS CANADA! &nbsp;When will our government see =
that there is just something wrong with this =
Administrator<br>N-CAP/Department of Education<br>P.O. Box 1000, Station =
&nbsp;(867) 975-5610<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:dthompson@gov.nu.ca">dthompson@gov.nu.ca</a><br>___________=
_____________________________<br>From: advisors-admin@tc.ca =
[advisors-admin@tc.ca] on behalf of Marita Moll =
[mmoll@ca.inter.net]<br>Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 7:47 PM<br>To: =
TC Advisors<br>Subject: [Advisors] =
Openparliament.ca<br><br>openparliament.ca&lt;http://openparliament.ca&gt;=
to debates in the HofC. &nbsp;Try searching for "community access =
program" and see all the times this was brought up during and after the =
decision to kill the program and by whom and what was said. &nbsp;It =
certainly didn't die without a fight.<br><br>There has been no mention =
of CAP for some time. &nbsp;I'm wondering how we might use the =
information available here to bring it back to the table. &nbsp;Anybody =
got some stories to report about the impact of the loss of the program =
that could be fed to a friendly local MP?<br><br>Other =
_____<br>Advisors mailing =