[Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA forum

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Sun, 03 Mar 2013 16:00:03 -0500

I see James posted his "mentorship" piece in the CIRA discussion area.
Here is my contribution.

How do we teach digital literacy?  In the "how to" department, we can
end up with a long list of important points.   I agree with James'
mentorship ideas.  Co-learning is also a powerful concept which supports
a respectful and ongoing relationship between individuals engaged in
sharing and extending their skills.  And critical thinking is just a
part of any media consumption that all citizens need to keep in mind.

But we always seem to leave out the "why" that makes the case for the
list in the first place.  Why do we teach digital literacy? Because it
is becoming increasingly difficult to function in a modern society
without recourse to digital technology; because, as a nation, making
sure our communities and fellow citizens can keep up with increasingly
rapid technological change is a social, political as well as an
educational responsibility.

The concept of digital literacy as something we need to teach
schoolchildren is limiting our ability to discuss and address this
problem across generations and locations. And it continues to enable
policy makers to avoid addressing the bigger issue.

Marita