[Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA forum

Thompson, Darlene DThompson1 at GOV.NU.CA
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:50:37 +0000

I just can't agree with Bernie more.  A big part of the problem, though, is=
 that the schools themselves often don't see themselves in this light, beyo=
nd their own narrow mandate and the tendency to become little fiefdoms.

Darlene A. Thompson
CAP Administrator
N-CAP/Department of Education
P.O. Box 1000, Station 910
Iqaluit, NU  X0A 0H0
Phone:  (867) 975-5631
Fax:  (867) 975-5610
dthompson@gov.nu.ca
From: advisors-admin@tc.ca [advisors-admin@tc.ca] on behalf of bhart@ca.int=
er.net [bhart@ca.inter.net]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 7:17 AM
To: advisors@tc.ca
Subject: Re: [Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA forum

Quoting Marita Moll <mmoll@ca.inter.net>:
> The concept of digital literacy as something we need to teach
> schoolchildren is limiting our ability to discuss and address this
> problem across generations and locations. And it continues to enable
> policy makers to avoid addressing the bigger issue.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Marita,
In my view you have summed up the problem very well. I believe we need
a re-definition of the CAP Program which is appropriate for 2013. Too
many people are still thinking of the initial role played by CAP.  We
have gone far beyond that and a new statement and a new approach are
required. I spent my entire working life in one form of education or
another and I am concerned that so few communities see their schools
as learning/training centres for all.
Bernie Hart
Chebucto Community Net