[Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA forum

James Van Leeuwen jvl at dusk.ca
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:02:09 -0600

--Apple-Mail=_3A8C0729-9A4A-4144-A21A-D346D6B318C9

Gary,

On 2013-03-19, at 11:33 AM, Gary W Kenward <garykenward@eastlink.ca> =
wrote:

> James:
>=20
>    Having been a mentor in my professional life (and occasionally in =
my personal life), I am curious as to how you see the opportunities for =
mentoring arising? Perhaps you are referring to informal education? That =
is, not class room instruction but drop-in centres? With (preferably =
trained) subject matter gurus available to help, if asked?

Yes... it's basically a new long-term community institution.

The eCitizen Club idea is a half-baked idea in this vein, just to =
provoke some dialog:

http://www.ventus.ca/eCitizen.pdf

>    What would a national program to foster mentoring look like (at the =
high level)? Training in mentoring. Subsidies for facility, equipment =
and materials? Nationwide publicity? Organized assessment and evaluation =
and adjustment?

The most powerful and effective programs would emerge through a national =
alliance of community-based institutions.=20

Compare the CAA to local/regional Auto Clubs.

If all the CAP sites (for starters) were to rally around a shared =
vision... hmm!

>    Do we need the federal government to make this happen? Funding is =
an issue, but how about crowd-funding (legal in Canada for charitable =
initiatives)?

No... it will happen in spite of the current Federal Government, which =
is starving or neutering any agencies that do not complement their =
vision for Canada (=3D 1970s redux).=20

Auto Clubs are completely self-financed through membership fees and =
service revenues.=20

I provided some thumbnail figures around potential membership revenues a =
while back.

Here's what I wrote:

> For convenience, assume there were ten million digital tool users in =
Canada (conservative).
> =20
> Assume that one percent of these were willing to spend $10 for an =
annual membership (100,000 members).
> =20
> How much impact could a national 'Digital User Club' have with an =
operating budget of $1 million, given the enormous leverage of the =
Internet for engaging and serving ICT users?
> =20
> Assume the Club excelled in fulfilling its mandate to its members, and =
after ten years there were five million Canadians paying $20 for an =
annual membership.
> =20
> How much impact could the Club have with an operating budget of $100 =
million?
> =20
> =20
> That's the kind of serious leadership clout Canada is going to need to =
catch up with the world and get back in the lead.
> =20
> The $1 million and $100 million revenue figures are both realistic =
objectives for three-year and ten-year growth plans.
> =20
> By comparison, the Canadian Automobile Association now serves 5.6 =
million members through nine regional auto clubs which collectively =
operate 140 offices across the country.
> =20
> For every dozen people on this email distribution, there should be an =
average of two CAA members.=20
> =20
> I am one myself.
> =20
> =20
> =20
> What value propositions did Auto Clubs offer to early motorists?
> =20
> These clubs emerged in abundance just over a century ago, generally to =
address the need for better road networks and better protocols for using =
road networks (rules of the road, including speed limits).
> =20
> They really took off when Ford began producing the Model T (1908), =
because motoring suddenly became affordable for a much greater =
percentage of the population (strong parallel to proliferation of ICT).=20=

> =20
> Club activities focused on lobbying local and senior governments for =
more investment in new and better roads (as we need with broadband), and =
lobbying automobile industries to adopt more and better design and =
manufacturing standards (as we need for ICT).=20
> =20
> Key issues with the auto industry were enabling interchangeability of =
parts (standards), improving overall reliability, and reducing the =
overall costs of owning and operating automobiles (as we need with ICT - =
I'm sick of replacing defunct batteries).
> =20
> Auto Clubs pioneered the fields of automobile damage and liability =
insurance, which remain key sources of revenue for them (--> lower risk =
and cost of ownership).
> =20
> They also pioneered roadside assistance, which I've used at least half =
a dozen times in my thirty-five years of driving (--> lower operating =
risk).=20
> =20
> In climates like ours, this service alone is worth the cost of my =
annual CAA membership.
> =20
> Imagine the same for ICT, with on-site diagnostics and repairs, =
including replacing dead batteries (seriously).
> =20
> I don't want to have to book an appointment with a 'genius' at the =
Apple Store.=20
> =20
> In my hour of need, I want technical support to come to me.=20
> =20
> =20
> =20
> Many local and regional associations were initially called Good Road =
Associations, and today there are slightly different organizations that =
now operate under the same name.=20
> =20
> They generally serve the interests of municipal governments, rather =
than directly serving the interests of motorists.
> =20
> It didn't take long for governments to recognize the value of more and =
better roads to improving liberty, security and prosperity, and they =
understandably became a high priority in government affairs.
> =20
> They remain so to this day, and broadband networks will eventually =
enjoy similar status.=20
> =20
> =20
> As road networks and protocols improved and motoring became =
commonplace, Auto Clubs grew and amalgamated, and broadened the scope of =
their activities.=20
> =20
> Their emphasis shifted from improving road networks and protocols to =
improving design and operation of automobiles, with security as their =
overarching objective (motoring is still a leading cause of death and =
injury).
> =20
> We can thank Auto Clubs for driving industry adoption of seatbelts, =
and more recently, for driving government adoption of mandatory seatbelt =
legislation.
> =20
> Most recently, they have played central roles in driving government =
adoption of distracted driving legislation.
> =20
> There are similar needs for ICT users, as the Amanda Todd story =
powerfully illustrates.=20
> =20
> Cyberbullying can have tragic consequences.=20
> =20
> So can cyberfraud.=20
> =20
> =20
> I drafted that eCitizen Club discussion paper more than three years =
ago.
> =20
> The document could use some revision, but the basic concept makes even =
more sense to me now than it did back then.=20
> =20
> I have since lost virtually all confidence in the leadership abilities =
of government and industry for advancing digital economy and society in =
Canada.=20
> =20
> They cannot lead effectively, and if I could wave a magic wand and =
conjure the leadership I think we require, it would look a lot like the =
eCitizen Club as I envision it.=20
> =20
> The best I can do for now is stimulate interest and dialog around the =
idea, in the hope of shaping it into something actionable.
> =20
> It's up the flagpole...=20
> =20
> James
> =20
> =20
> =20
> =20

> Gary
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND =
CONFIDENTIAL.
>=20
> On 2013.03.19, at 2:08 PM, James Van Leeuwen <jvl@ventus.ca> wrote:
>=20
>> I agree Gary... hence the need for traditional mentoring, which =
involves not only developing mastery of tools but also wisdom around =
putting tools to productive and responsible use.=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> The global currency of the Harry Potter narrative is a golden =
opportunity for building the culture of mentoring we desperately need.=20=

>>=20
>> Compare ICTs to wizards' wands, and the power it gives us to affect =
action at a distance.
>>=20
>> There are people using ICTs to run scams, and there are people using =
ICTs to build healthier lifestyles and communities.
>>=20
>> Leaving it up to children to figure out responsible use for =
themselves is the very definition of irresponsible.=20
>>=20
>> JvL
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> On 2013-03-19, at 9:44 AM, Gary W Kenward <garykenward@eastlink.ca> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> I just want to point out that there seems to be two "levels" of =
topics being discussed here: education on the purpose and use of ICT; =
and education towards improved literacy. The two subjects are quite =
different and require different teach skills, materials and plans. They =
also have different purposes. ICT is a tool. Literacy is a cognitive =
ability.
>>>=20
>>> More important, teaching ICT skills does not teach literacy, =
critical thinking nor social responsibility.
>>>=20
>>> All too often "computer courses" are focussed on training in the use =
of the tool, whether it be computers, mobile devices, software apps. The =
old school analogy would be teaching someone how to use the Dewey =
decimal system - a necessary skill (even today) that does not teach =
anyone how to research a subject, read critically, analyze information =
or synthesize ideas.
>>>=20
>>> Gary
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND =
CONFIDENTIAL.
>>>=20
>>> On 2013.03.05, at 9:38 AM, Marita Moll <mmoll@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>>>=20
voice forum.  In the end, the opinions gathered from this site as well =
as opinions gathered from the actual CIF here in Ottawa will be rolled =
into a report to the Internet Governance Forum.  So, if you couldn't =
attend the meeting or the webcast,  there are other ways to have your =
say.
clicking on "Like this post." .  So far, Clarice, James, Garth and I =
have posted opinions in the "Municipal ownership of broadband as local =
internet governance" , "Digital literacy" and "Canada's digital future"  =
areas.
fact that the rate of change in ICT's is so rapid that the =
teacher/trainer must also be a constant learner and or able to teach =
others how to teach themselves.
Mobility Network
advisors@tc.ca<advisors@tc.ca>
though, is that the schools themselves often don't see themselves in =
this light, beyond their own narrow mandate and the tendency to become =
little fiefdoms.
Too
We
=01=C3=9B=C3=A2=C2=B2=C5=A0=C3=AC=E2=84=A2=C2=A8=C2=A5=C5=A0x%=C5=A0=C3=8B=
@v=C3=B8=C2=AC=C2=A2=C2=BB-q=C3=86=C2=A1=C2=B6=C3=9A=7F=C3=BE=C3=B8=C5=93=C2=
=B6=C5=A0=C3=A2j=C3=97=1Ck=C3=B9=C5=A1=C5=A0Y=C5=A1=C5=B8=C3=B9b=C2=B2=C3=98=
=C2=A7~=C2=8F=C3=9Av=C3=B8=C2=ACors=3D

--Apple-Mail=_3A8C0729-9A4A-4144-A21A-D346D6B318C9

charset=3Dutf-8"><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dutf-8"><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
Gary W Kenward &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:garykenward@eastlink.ca">garykenward@eastlink.ca</a>&gt; =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">James:<br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Having been a mentor in =
my professional life (and occasionally in my personal life), I am =
curious as to how you see the opportunities for mentoring arising? =
Perhaps you are referring to informal education? That is, not class room =
instruction but drop-in centres? With (preferably trained) subject =
matter gurus available to help, if =
Club idea is a half-baked idea in this vein, just to provoke some =
href=3D"http://www.ventus.ca/eCitizen.pdf">http://www.ventus.ca/eCitizen.p=
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;What would a national program to foster mentoring look =
like (at the high level)? Training in mentoring. Subsidies for facility, =
equipment and materials? Nationwide publicity? Organized assessment and =
powerful and effective programs would emerge through a national alliance =
the CAP sites (for starters) were to rally around a shared vision... =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Do we need the federal government to make this happen? =
Funding is an issue, but how about crowd-funding (legal in Canada for =
will happen in spite of the current Federal Government, which is =
starving or neutering any agencies that do not complement their vision =
are completely self-financed through membership fees and service =
figures around potential membership revenues a while =
type=3D"cite"><div lang=3D"EN-US" link=3D"blue" vlink=3D"purple"><div =
class=3D"WordSection1" style=3D"page: WordSection1; "><div><div =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
New Roman', serif; ">For convenience, assume there were ten million =
digital tool users in Canada =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
">Assume that one percent of these were willing to spend $10 for an =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
New Roman', serif; ">How much impact could a national 'Digital User =
Club' have with an operating budget of $1 million, given the enormous =
leverage of the Internet for engaging and serving ICT =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
">Assume the Club excelled in fulfilling its mandate to its members, and =
after ten years there were five million Canadians paying $20 for an =
0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">How =
much impact could the Club have with an operating budget of $100 =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
">That's the kind of serious leadership clout Canada is going to need to =
catch up with the world and get back in the =
font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">The =
$1 million and $100 million revenue figures are both realistic =
objectives for three-year and ten-year growth =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">By =
comparison, the Canadian Automobile Association now serves 5.6 million =
members through nine regional auto clubs which collectively operate 140 =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
New Roman', serif; ">For every dozen people on this email distribution, =
there should be an average of two CAA =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">I am =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">What =
value propositions did Auto Clubs offer to early =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
">These clubs emerged in abundance just over a century ago, generally to =
address the need for better road networks and better protocols for using =
road networks (rules of the road, including speed =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">They =
really took off when Ford began producing the Model T (1908), because =
motoring suddenly became affordable for a much greater percentage of the =
population (strong parallel to proliferation of =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">Club =
activities focused on lobbying local and senior governments for more =
investment in new and better roads (as we need with broadband), and =
lobbying automobile industries to adopt more and better design and =
manufacturing standards (as we need for =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">Key =
issues with the auto industry were enabling interchangeability of parts =
(standards), improving overall reliability, and reducing the overall =
costs of owning and operating automobiles (as we need with ICT - I'm =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
New Roman', serif; ">Auto Clubs pioneered the fields of automobile =
damage and liability insurance, which remain key sources of revenue for =
them (--&gt; lower risk and cost of =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">They =
also pioneered roadside assistance, which I've used at least half a =
dozen times in my thirty-five years of driving (--&gt; lower operating =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">In =
[...]
New Roman', serif; ">Many local and regional associations were initially =
called Good Road Associations, and today there are slightly different =
organizations that now operate under the same =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">They =
generally serve the interests of municipal governments, rather than =
directly serving the interests of =
0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">It =
didn't take long for governments to recognize the value of more and =
better roads to improving liberty, security and prosperity, and they =
understandably became a high priority in government =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">They =
remain so to this day, and&nbsp;broadband networks will eventually enjoy =
0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">As =
road networks and protocols improved and motoring became commonplace, =
Auto Clubs grew and amalgamated, and broadened the scope of their =
0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
">Their emphasis shifted from improving road networks and protocols to =
improving design and operation of automobiles, with security as their =
overarching objective (motoring is still a leading cause of death and =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">We =
can thank Auto Clubs for driving industry adoption of seatbelts, and =
more recently, for driving government adoption of mandatory seatbelt =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">Most =
recently, they have played central roles in driving government adoption =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
style=3D"margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times =
New Roman', serif; ">There are similar needs for ICT users, as the =
Amanda Todd story powerfully =
0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
">Cyberbullying can have tragic =
0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">So =
[...]
New Roman', serif; ">The best I can do for now is stimulate interest and =
dialog around the idea, in the hope of shaping it into something =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; ">It's =
0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; =
IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.<br><br>On 2013.03.19, at =
2:08 PM, James Van Leeuwen &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:jvl@ventus.ca">jvl@ventus.ca</a>&gt; =
for traditional mentoring, which involves not only developing mastery of =
tools but also wisdom around putting tools to productive and responsible =
golden opportunity for building the culture of mentoring we desperately =
need. <br><br>Compare ICTs to wizards' wands, and the power it gives us =
to affect action at a distance.<br><br>There are people using ICTs to =
run scams, and there are people using ICTs to build healthier lifestyles =
and communities.<br><br>Leaving it up to children to figure out =
responsible use for themselves is the very definition of irresponsible. =
9:44 AM, Gary W Kenward &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:garykenward@eastlink.ca">garykenward@eastlink.ca</a>&gt; =
there seems to be two "levels" of topics being discussed here: education =
on the purpose and use of ICT; and education towards improved literacy. =
The two subjects are quite different and require different teach skills, =
materials and plans. They also have different purposes. ICT is a tool. =
Literacy is a cognitive ability.<br><br>More important, teaching ICT =
skills does not teach literacy, critical thinking nor social =
responsibility.<br><br>All too often "computer courses" are focussed on =
training in the use of the tool, whether it be computers, mobile =
devices, software apps. The old school analogy would be teaching someone =
how to use the Dewey decimal system - a necessary skill (even today) =
that does not teach anyone how to research a subject, read critically, =
analyze information or synthesize =
DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.<br><br>On 2013.03.05, at 9:38 AM, =
Marita Moll &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:mmoll@ca.inter.net">mmoll@ca.inter.net</a>&gt; =
voting going on in this CIRA my voice forum. &nbsp;In the end, the =
opinions gathered from this site as well as opinions gathered from the =
actual CIF here in Ottawa will be rolled into a report to the Internet =
Governance Forum. &nbsp;So, if you couldn't attend the meeting or the =
webcast, &nbsp;there are other ways to have your say.<br><br>You can =
express your agreement with any of the opinions posted by clicking on =
"Like this post." . &nbsp;So far, Clarice, James, Garth and I have =
posted opinions in the "Municipal ownership of broadband as local =
internet governance" , "Digital literacy" and "Canada's digital future" =
&nbsp;areas.<br><br>All you have to do to vote is sign in: =
&nbsp;&nbsp;<a =
type=3D"cite">Once again I agree with Darlene. They also have not =
grasped the fact that the rate of change in ICT's is so rapid that the =
teacher/trainer must also be a constant learner and or able to teach =
others how to teach themselves.<br>Sent from my BlackBerry=C2=AE =
smartphone on the MTS High Speed Mobility Network<br><br>-----Original =
Message-----<br>From: "Thompson, Darlene"&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:DThompson1@gov.nu.ca">DThompson1@gov.nu.ca</a>&gt;<br>Sende=
r: <a =
href=3D"mailto:advisors-admin@tc.ca">advisors-admin@tc.ca</a><br>Date: =
Mon, 4 Mar 2013 13:50:37<br>To: <a =
href=3D"mailto:bhart@ca.inter.net">bhart@ca.inter.net</a>&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:bhart@ca.inter.net">bhart@ca.inter.net</a>&gt;; <a =
href=3D"mailto:advisors@tc.ca">advisors@tc.ca</a>&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:advisors@tc.ca">advisors@tc.ca</a>&gt;<br>Subject: RE: =
[Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA forum<br><br>I just =
can't agree with Bernie more. &nbsp;A big part of the problem, though, =
is that the schools themselves often don't see themselves in this light, =
beyond their own narrow mandate and the tendency to become little =
Administrator<br>N-CAP/Department of Education<br>P.O. Box 1000, Station =
&nbsp;(867) 975-5610<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:dthompson@gov.nu.ca">dthompson@gov.nu.ca</a><br>___________=
_____________________________<br>From: <a =
href=3D"mailto:advisors-admin@tc.ca">advisors-admin@tc.ca</a> [<a =
href=3D"mailto:advisors-admin@tc.ca">advisors-admin@tc.ca</a>] on behalf =
of <a href=3D"mailto:bhart@ca.inter.net">bhart@ca.inter.net</a> [<a =
href=3D"mailto:bhart@ca.inter.net">bhart@ca.inter.net</a>]<br>Sent: =
Monday, March 04, 2013 7:17 AM<br>To: <a =
href=3D"mailto:advisors@tc.ca">advisors@tc.ca</a><br>Subject: Re: =
[Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA =
forum<br><br>Quoting Marita Moll&lt;<a =
ckquote type=3D"cite">The concept of digital literacy as something we =
need to teach<br>schoolchildren is limiting our ability to discuss and =
address this<br>problem across generations and locations. And it =
continues to enable<br>policy makers to avoid addressing the bigger =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<br>Marita,<br>In my view you =
have summed up the problem very well. I believe we need<br>a =
re-definition of the CAP Program which is appropriate for 2013. =
Too<br>many people are still thinking of the initial role played by CAP. =
&nbsp;We<br>have gone far beyond that and a new statement and a new =
approach are<br>required. I spent my entire working life in one form of =
education or<br>another and I am concerned that so few communities see =
their schools<br>as learning/training centres for all.<br>Bernie =
Hart<br>Chebucto Community =
 =
href=3D"http://victoria.tc.ca/mailman/listinfo/advisors">http://victoria.t=