[Advisors] How do you teach digital literacy -- CIRA forum

Gary W Kenward garykenward at eastlink.ca
Tue, 19 Mar 2013 14:33:47 -0300

James:

    Having been a mentor in my professional life (and occasionally in my =
personal life), I am curious as to how you see the opportunities for =
mentoring arising? Perhaps you are referring to informal education? That =
is, not class room instruction but drop-in centres? With (preferably =
trained) subject matter gurus available to help, if asked?

    What would a national program to foster mentoring look like (at the =
high level)? Training in mentoring. Subsidies for facility, equipment =
and materials? Nationwide publicity? Organized assessment and evaluation =
and adjustment?

    Do we need the federal government to make this happen? Funding is an =
issue, but how about crowd-funding (legal in Canada for charitable =
initiatives)?

Gary

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL.

On 2013.03.19, at 2:08 PM, James Van Leeuwen <jvl@ventus.ca> wrote:

> I agree Gary... hence the need for traditional mentoring, which =
involves not only developing mastery of tools but also wisdom around =
putting tools to productive and responsible use.=20
>=20
>=20
> The global currency of the Harry Potter narrative is a golden =
opportunity for building the culture of mentoring we desperately need.=20=

>=20
> Compare ICTs to wizards' wands, and the power it gives us to affect =
action at a distance.
>=20
> There are people using ICTs to run scams, and there are people using =
ICTs to build healthier lifestyles and communities.
>=20
> Leaving it up to children to figure out responsible use for themselves =
is the very definition of irresponsible.=20
>=20
> JvL
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 2013-03-19, at 9:44 AM, Gary W Kenward <garykenward@eastlink.ca> =
wrote:
>=20
>> I just want to point out that there seems to be two "levels" of =
topics being discussed here: education on the purpose and use of ICT; =
and education towards improved literacy. The two subjects are quite =
different and require different teach skills, materials and plans. They =
also have different purposes. ICT is a tool. Literacy is a cognitive =
ability.
>>=20
>> More important, teaching ICT skills does not teach literacy, critical =
thinking nor social responsibility.
>>=20
>> All too often "computer courses" are focussed on training in the use =
of the tool, whether it be computers, mobile devices, software apps. The =
old school analogy would be teaching someone how to use the Dewey =
decimal system - a necessary skill (even today) that does not teach =
anyone how to research a subject, read critically, analyze information =
or synthesize ideas.
>>=20
>> Gary
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PRIVATE AND =
CONFIDENTIAL.
>>=20
>> On 2013.03.05, at 9:38 AM, Marita Moll <mmoll@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Just a note that there is also voting going on in this CIRA my voice =
forum.  In the end, the opinions gathered from this site as well as =
opinions gathered from the actual CIF here in Ottawa will be rolled into =
a report to the Internet Governance Forum.  So, if you couldn't attend =
the meeting or the webcast,  there are other ways to have your say.
>>>=20
>>> You can express your agreement with any of the opinions posted by =
clicking on "Like this post." .  So far, Clarice, James, Garth and I =
have posted opinions in the "Municipal ownership of broadband as local =
internet governance" , "Digital literacy" and "Canada's digital future"  =
areas.
>>>=20
>>> All you have to do to vote is sign in:   http://cif.cira.ca/en
>>>=20
>>> Marita
>>>=20
fact that the rate of change in ICT's is so rapid that the =
teacher/trainer must also be a constant learner and or able to teach =
others how to teach themselves.
Mobility Network
advisors@tc.ca<advisors@tc.ca>
though, is that the schools themselves often don't see themselves in =
this light, beyond their own narrow mandate and the tendency to become =
little fiefdoms.
Too
We
=01=C3=9B=C3=A2=C2=B2=C5=A0=C3=AC=E2=84=A2=C2=A8=C2=A5=C5=A0x%=C5=A0=C3=8B=
@v=C3=B8=C2=AC=C2=A2=C2=BB-q=C3=86=C2=A1=C2=B6=C3=9A=7F=C3=BE=C3=B8=C5=93=C2=
=B6=C5=A0=C3=A2j=C3=97=1Ck=C3=B9=C5=A1=C5=A0Y=C5=A1=C5=B8=C3=B9b=C2=B2=C3=98=
=C2=A7~=C2=8F=C3=9Av=C3=B8=C2=ACors=3D