[Advisors] Globe and Mail discussion

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Mon Nov 25 23:36:01 PST 2013

Just posted a lengthy comment.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/giving/have-your-say-how-can-we-help-canadians-gain-better-access-to-the-internet/article15585113/comments/?ord=0

JvL

tart by asking and answering the right questions.

WHY help Canadians gain better access to the Internet?

What are the present and future benefits to community, society, economy and environment?

If we tallied up all the projected benefits of universal digital literacy and access, we would find that the related costs are practically marginal.

This is why a growing number of countries are committing to universal literacy and access, with very agressive timelines.

They want to eat everyone's digital lunch, and at the rate we're going in Canada, they are going to get most of ours.

Once the projected benefits are tallied up, we need to ask what education and infrastructure solutions will best enable us to realize the benefits.

Then and only then will it be appropriate to engage the question of HOW to implement solutions.

There is no point engaging the telecom or cable industries until we have determined exactly what we need to do, and how we need to do it.

Then it's a matter of telling industry where they fit in... not them telling us.

The community of Olds, Alberta went through this process, and is now building and operating its own optical fibre network (www.o-net.ca).

When Olds told industry (Telus and Shaw) what it needed and asked for their help, they weren't interested (putting it politely).

Olds is therefore doing it themselves, because it's what they need.

Period.

Perhaps the biggest mistake we are making in Canada today is allowing our telecom and cable industries to dictate our nation's digital development agenda.

It is far, FAR too valuable and important to leave in the hands of narrow private interests.

DID YOU HEAR THAT, LOCAL AND SENIOR GOVERNMENTS ACROSS CANADA?

Some communities are already leading the way through regional collaboration, especially in Ontario.

Look at the projects in northern Ontario (K-Net), eastern Ontario (EORN) and now western Ontario (SWIFT).

We have a great deal of work to do in catching up with the U.S.:

www.muninetworks.org
www.ftthcouncil.org
www.bbcmag.com
www.ilsr.org

You've asked how we can help Canadians gain better access to the Internet.

I've laid out a process for answering this question in the most meaningful way.

The highest and most immediate priority is to foster and support digital *leadership* at the community level.

This is how we will achieve universal literacy and access most efficiently in Canada, and no agency is better positioned for the role than the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.

The next President of FCM will be Mayor Brad Woodside of Fredericton, one of Canada's most knowledgeable, experienced and passionate champions of community broadband.

"We don't charge you to walk on our sidewalks. Why would we charge you for broadband [access]?"

Imagine free wireless Internet access from coast to coast, without ever changing networks or thinking about which network you are on.

You're just connected, wherever you are.

That's our futu

Start by asking and answering the right questions.

[...]

That's our future.
[...]

That's our futureStart by asking and answering the right questions.