[Advisors] CIRA community improvement fund -- input needed

Kevin Battersby kevin at battersby.net
Wed Nov 27 10:20:59 PST 2013

Hello Marita,

A capital building fund would be useful for some of the organisations I work
with. In both cases the organisations are functional and administratively sound
but in need of technology advancement or expansion.

Given that these organisations and many facing similar challenges do currently
enable or directly provide "...projects  like digital literacy, soft
infrastructure, internet governance, and security and stability" there might be
a fit.

Would these allotments be per organisation, per community or per project?

RECN.ca, operating in the north end of Vancouver Island, for example has been in
the black as far as operations go since 2006 but is a thin on build funding. We
currently trying to get out from under the BC Hydro 900 MHz disaster and are
now deploying 3.65 GHz as we can.

Victoria Freenet has just moved, in May/June and restructured this year. It
might benefit from capital funds to expand it's income generating services in
support of it social mandate.

While I'm thinking in very practical physical terms the spinoffs do reach a long
way.

--
Regards,
Kevin Battersby <kevin at battersby.net>