[Advisors] Gareth Shearman in memoriam

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Tue Oct 15 18:29:37 PDT 2013

I'll never forget first time I ever saw Gareth.  I was speaking at the
1993 (4?) community networking conference at Carleton University.
Gareth was seriously fast asleep in the front row!  "Hmm, who is that?"
I wondered.  Asking around a bit, I discovered that this was the already
legendary (in the community networking world) Gareth Shearman, who,
along with his wife Mae, had founded Victoria Freenet, the very first
Canadian community network in Canada. I figured it must have been jet
lag, not my less than stellar speaking skills that were to blame for the
public 40 winks.  I later realized that Gareth had that rare ability to
quickly catch some sleep when he needed to and then just carry on, not
having missed a thing.  Oh, it is a rare person who has that gift!

That was many years ago, and all this time, Gareth and Mae never
waivered in their commitment to community in general, to the community
project they founded and all the things that flowed from it, including
numerous organizations at the national and international level.  It was
a lifetime commitment that leaves huge footprint, that touches a lot of
people.

Now we must bid goodbye part of this team. Gareth was a leader who
guided with a gentle, thoughtful hand -- kind, humble, never out for
personal benefit.  He was in it for the long haul and he was in it for
the community.  My deepest condolences go out to Mae to whom I wish to
give a big, long hug.  I am so sad that Gareth is no longer going to be
guiding us in person.  But he did leave all of us with wonderful
memories and great paths to follow.  These will continue to be part of
our lives and our work and we will carry on.

But for a few moments, I would like to stop and acknowledge a deep sense
of loss.

Marita