[Advisors] FW: [Futurework] The Precariat in Canada

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 00:24:35 PST 2014

http://www.thestar.com/news/atkinsonseries/2013/12/15/working_class_but_unem
ployed.html

Snippet:

    The room is the gathering place -- the men call it their sanctuary
    -- for what's left of a community of 400 blue-collar workers who
    built transit buses at Daimler AG's Orion plant in Mississauga,
    until Daimler decided it was no longer profitable to make buses in
    Canada. It shut down the plant a year ago and moved across the
    border.

    The average age of the men left without jobs was 55. Their median
    length of employment was 22 years. Their pay was between $22 and
    $30 an hour. Maybe a half-dozen at most ? six out of 400 ? have
    succeeded in finding new work at comparable pay.

    For the rest?

    "After 20, 30 years, you feel like you've served your purpose and
    now you're trash," says the union man who asked to speak
    anonymously. "You Google me, my picture comes up with (former CAW
    president) Ken Lewenza and my affiliation with the union and all
    that, and it makes it hard for me to get a job. They look at me as
    a troublemaker."

    Not recyclable -- and undesirable if you?re connected to a union.