[Advisors] Internet policy issues for ISOC Canada

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Mon Sep 8 11:53:32 PDT 2014

On 2014-09-05, at 11:21 AM, Marita Moll wrote:

> As a member of the ISOC Public Policy Committee, I am looking for feedback on issues that should be on ISOC-Canada's agenda.  This is a new organization and a new committee.  We can have an impact.  We do have people on this list who have been participating nationally and internationally in Internet public policy issues for some time.  So, I would be pleased to bring your concerns to this committee.  If the divisions (and the language used) are confusing, just ignore them, just list policy issues that concern you.
>
> -- broad public policy issues with the Canadian Internet ecosystem at this time?

1. Many nation states now have national Internet Governance Forums that feed into the UN's Internet Governance Forums, and other IG discussions.  Many of those IGFs are open (or, to follow the current acceptable under certain highly qualified circumstances phrase, use the multistakeholder model).  Canada does not.  And, although CIRA seemed to be making a start, I wouldn't qualify what they are doing now as even a discussion, never mind open!  Of course, this issue is already on ISOC Canada's agenda.  So I only mention it here to note that it's a TC agenda item also.

2. Community ownership and control of open fibre optic networks, an essential element of community development capacity in a digital economy, is completely impossible within the the framework of Canada's market-based telecommunications strategy.  TC has consistently pointed this out in every national discussion that ever occurred.  It would be nice to ave some real allies that understood the point, then implications and the long term consequences.

> -- broad public policy issues within ICANN, either as generated by ICANN's policies or its activities

My thoughts on this are on record at:

A DARK MIRROR OF INTERNET USE Garth Graham, July 11, 2014
https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/48347119/To%20account.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1405373073000&api=v2

TAKING INTERNET GOVERNANCE ECOLOGY AT ITS WORD: Garth Graham June 10, 2014
https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/48343654/ecology%20realized.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1402436268000&api=v2

GG