[Advisors] Issues I sent to ISOC Canada policy cttee

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Sep 11 06:43:21 PDT 2014

I am trying to proceed, from the onset, in the most open way possible.
We were asked for our personal issues -- I have submitted issues
gathered from this list and other public surveys and fora.  It is in no
way complete -- but it probably looks a bit different from what other
committee members will have submitted.  If there things you still want
to add, let me know.  I will find a way to squeeze them in.

Broad public policy issues in the Internet ecosystem:

   -- public interest governance/control vs. private interests
governance/control (at all levels)

Public policy issues within the Canadian internet ecosystem:

-- pursuit of universal access to broadband

-- support for community ownership and control of open fibre networks as
an essential element of community development capacity in a digital economy

-- a commitment to closing the growing digital divide between urban
fibre services and rural/remote wireless/satellite services

--public support for some aspects of Canadian internet infrastructure

-- support for Internet training and awareness

-- protecting the privacy of Canadians on the Internet

-- monitoring government surveillance

-- addressing on-line security threats

-- refining Canadian input into the UN IGF process (ongoing, open &
multistakeholder)

Broad public policy issues within ICANN:

- the evolution of ICANN after U.S. Dept. of Commerce contract runs out
(2015)