[Advisors] [ciresearchers] FreeNet history/philosophy

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 13:36:07 PDT 2015

Hi Mike,

The Community Networking “movement” in Canada (some were “FreeNets” and many weren’t but functioned in much the same way) was and are somewhat informally grouped around Telecommunities Canada <http://tc.ca/>  (TC) and I’m copying this note the TC elist.  TC eventually also came to include some of the various community networking initiatives established through the Federal Government’s Community Access Program.

Also, probably a good idea to take a look at some of the First Nations initiatives in this respect as a number of those have been longer lasting and more effective (for a variety of reasons) than their non-FN counterparts.

I’m also copying this to the CRACIN-Canada list which is specifically directed to Community Informatics initiatives in Canada.