[Advisors] communications -- more suggestions?

Gary W Kenward garykenward at eastlink.ca
Sun Jan 25 09:08:00 PST 2015

Having used all three video apps (and a few others), I can unequivocally state that FaceTime works the best. As with all two way video conferencing apps, the quality is dependent upon the link. I’ve used it with relatively moderate speed connections, including WiFi, with no problem (my ISP provides no uplink rate guarantee, and at the best of times it’s around 1.5Mbps).

However, FaceTime is an Apple product and runs on Mac OS X and iOS. It is not available for Windows or Android. And, FaceTime only supports two-way calls. It is not a video conferencing app.

Skype is an old product that MS has not supported very well. I have found Google Hangout to be a fairly solid service. ISOC uses it for weekly conference calls without any major issues (the primary difficulty appears to be due to users learning how to use the Google Hangout interface).

Good luck.