[Advisors] TC -- moving ahead in 2015

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Mon Jan 26 13:09:03 PST 2015

> On Jan 25, 2015, at 9:27 PM, James Van Leeuwen <jvl at ventus.ca> wrote:
>
> …..just better leadership… ….Leadership that smacks people up the sides of their heads... figuratively speaking.

Just as I said - dysfunctional and egomaniacal psychopaths - just kidding.

> What if TC were to focus on researching, defining, measuring and communicating the economic, social and environmental benefits of digital inclusion and community broadband?
>
> Almost every analytic or metric I've seen has focused on "internal" cost/benefit of broadband development for facility owners and/or operators.
>
> I haven't seen anyone taking a systematic and comprehensive approach to assessing external economic, social and environmental costs and benefits, which is the real bone marrow of community broadband.

I am aware of an extensive literature on this - on two levels: national/regional and local.  But the problem is the underlying assumptions that structure the various models are usually different, unclear or ambiguous, making cross-comparison very difficult.  A state of the art review of the exiting literature from a community point of view would be a HUGE undertaking, but a useful starting point for developing an open cost-benefit analysis template.  I’ve sort of been wading around in that but am overwhelmed by the magnitude of the task.  I suspect there are some pretty good ones but that they are proprietary to consultants.

GG