[Advisors] CIRA and Internet governance

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:15:34 PDT 2015

Thanks for this kind invitation Marita and let me make a few disconnected
points that I would be interested to have conveyed etc.

1. as of the last Canadian IGF I thought I was registered with whatever
registration, list, forum etc. concerning this matter from CIRA and yet this
is the first that I have heard of this meeting. I don't follow the CIRA site
very closely but since the IGF is not an exclusively CIRA effort--they
sponsor it but presumably it is about a Canadian discussion on Internet
Governance issues i.e. not an exclusively CIRA discussion, they have some
responsibility to make the discussion more widely known.

2. last year as this year I am unable because of travel to participate.
This year as last year, I am unable to follow or remotely participate in the
discussion.  Since CIRA has a very large budget relative to its overall
tasks and presumably has the technical expertise to organize a means for
remote Internet based participation, the absence of this after it was noted
(by myself in an email to Byron Holland directly, presumably among others)
is disgraceful! And suggests that there may be other motives for not
enabling this than simply inattention.

3. the issues around Internet Governance (IG) are heating up very
considerably not least because of the US government's call for a transition
in the control of the Internet Naming function (IANA) from under the direct
responsibility of the US NTIA. The issues involved are extremely
complex--legally, technically and increasingly jurisdictionally and I would
not even try to summarize these.  A useful non-US centric position has just
recently emerged from the Government of Brazil and my strong suggestion
would be that you might want to take a close look at it and to introduce
this into the discussion if it isn't already there and have CIRA and others
comment on it. (see the attached) I believe this position will provide a
basic fulcrum around which the future discussion will take place
particularly among those not completely committed to a US government centric
position.

4. the World Social Forum <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Social_Forum>
(WSF) will, somewhat controversially be held for the first time in the
"North" in Montreal in 2016.  A group affiliated with the WSF with which I
am associated, the Internet Social Forum
<http://www.internetsocialforum.net/>  (ISF) will also be holding a global
meeting in 2016, very likely in India to address issues of global Internet
Governance particularly as they impact on matters of inclusion, social
justice and human rights-subjects which are generally overlooked or poorly
covered in the conventional context of Internet Governance discussions. The
ISF will also likely be organizing an event in Montreal as part of the WSF.
I've no idea how this might relate to CIRA but presumably there should be
some sort of an announcement of these two events of global Internet
Governance significance as part of the Canadian IGF.

Enjoy,

Mike (from Manila)