[Advisors] The Canadian Internet Forum

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 14:17:22 PDT 2015

Hi Mark (and Byron

When I sent my earlier note I was getting an error message trying to access
the agenda for the CIF meeting.

Now that I am able to do so I can see in all likelihood why my name was left
off the invitation list and why no opportunity is provided for remote
participation.

I must say it is truly astonishing that an opening panel which presumably is
meant to set the stage for the day's discussion on Internet Governance would
consist of a current member of the ICANN Board (GS), a past member of the
ICANN Board (WG), a USG representative (FA), and a libertarian US academic
(MM).  While each of these in their own way has considerable expertise in
the area of Internet Governance (IG) I think no one knowledgeable in the IG
area would assert that this group represents anything other than at a
maximum 20% of the current range of global positions on IG and the most
conservative and status quo supporting positions at that.

As a Canadian and as someone who has spent much of my working life active in
Internet related activities I find such a biased panel truly appalling and
quite unrepresentative of what I know to be the range of Canadian positions
in these areas.

Best,

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Editor in Chief: Journal of Community Informatics
web:  <http://ci-journal.net/> http://ci-journal.net

Executive Director: Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development
and Training (CCIRDT)
Vancouver, BC CANADA

tel/fax:  <tel:%2B1-604-602-0624> +1-604-602-0624
email:  <mailto:gurstein at gmail.com> gurstein at gmail.com
blog:  <http://gurstein.wordpress.com/> http://gurstein.wordpress.com

twitter: @michaelgurstein