[Advisors] FW: [CITASA] Huge Solar Storm happening right now

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:16:30 PDT 2015

Might be of interest to some.

From: CITASA [mailto:citasa-bounces at list.citasa.org] On Behalf Of Andrea H.
Tapia
Sent: March 17, 2015 9:23 AM
To: citasa at list.citasa.org
Subject: [CITASA] Huge Solar Storm happening right now

Hi CITASA folks.

Some of my research looks at crowdsourcing early warning systems. We use
sightings of the aurora borealis as a proxy for emergencies. I'm asking for
your help today.

Please share this widely.

Please tweet.

Currently underway is THE aurora event of the year.

Geomagnetic storms levels are at severe.

Kp is predicted to reach 8 in the next hour and the solar wind power plot
has blown over our color scale limit. Aurora would probably be visible from
as far south as Alabama.

Just one problem. it's daylight both in the US and in Europe.

Fingers crossed the levels remain high until nightfall.

Tonight-go outside and look up-look north.

Go to our website--http://aurorasaurus.org <http://aurorasaurus.org/>   and
log in what you see.  Download the mobile app free.

You can also follow the Auroral oval as it moves south.

Andrea H. Tapia, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Information Sciences and Technology

College of Information Sciences and Technology

Penn State University

University Park,  State College, PA

Website-http://andreatapia.net <http://andreatapia.net/>

Email-atapia at ist.psu.edu <mailto:atapia at ist.psu.edu>