[Advisors] The Digital Divide

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:41:58 PDT 2015

I was recently invited to present at a major US/global conference on the
Digital Divide <http://www.ppdd.org/conferences/ppdd2015/> .

Among a number of interesting items was the extent to which the USG has been
moving forward on DD and related issues (particularly around the deployment
of Broadband) for the last decade while Canada's activities have receded
almost to nothingness.

In our approaches to the GoC we could do much worse I think, than having the
relevant officials enter into conversation with their counterpart officials
at the US NTIA or FCC.

I was particularly impressed by the issues which are being looked at
currently by the FFC
<https://www.fcc.gov/document/remarks-gigi-b-sohn-digital-divide>  (US
equivalent of the CRTC).