[Advisors] CAP?

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 11:25:24 PDT 2016

I'm having a back and forth with a colleague in Ottawa re: my blogpost on
Post-offices as Community Innovation Hubs
<https://gurstein.wordpress.com/2016/04/15/repurposing-post-offices-as-commu
nity-innovation-hub-inclusion-equity-and-deconcentration/>  .

In a recent email he made the following comment:

In your blog post, and some of the community informatics threads, I noted
direct reference to the - now very clearly defunct - CAP program.
Apparently, even mentioning that program is extremely problematic and
strongly discouraged if you don't want everyone in Ottawa to go running. I'm
not exactly sure why, but that's what I understand.

I must say that this rather surprised me.

This is how I replied to him:

It had some success in rural areas, less in urban areas (it was terribly
terribly mismanaged) but for those involved and for a fairly large number of
rural communities it was something of a success.  It was one of the very
very few Federal Programs which were delivered directly to communities to
the Feds who really didn't understand what they were doing (they set up and
for a long time treated it as a training ground for e-commerce which it
never was.

Any  comments or explanations why CAP should be in such disrepute in Ottawa
(and is that consistent with the experience of others)?