[Advisors] request to appear at CRTC hearing

Brian Beaton brian.beaton at knet.ca
Sat Jan 9 09:59:29 PST 2016

Thanks for sharing this request Marita . I want to support this effort by
CACTUS for obvious reasons but I am unable to participate in the
intervention / presentation. I also want to share a somewhat related story
with the team so everyone knows what we are doing and maybe some of you
might have some suggestions/recommendations for our efforts.

The First Mile Connectivity Consortium (FMCC - http://firstmile.ca) took on
a "surprise" contract with Industry Canada just before the xmas break. IC
emailed a RFP to four of the FMCC members (Susan O'Donnell, Rob McMahon,
Heather Hudson and Denise Williams) in November with a deadline of early
December for proposals. So together (Tim Whiteduck and I joined this
application) we decided to put in a response believing that IC must have had
someone in mind and just needed some additional proposals to make the
process legit. We wanted to make sure IC understood the First Mile position
when it comes to serving remote and rural Indigenous communities across
Canada. Obviously we were surprised to get the contract and now we are
trying to meet very tight timelines (the first deliverable is due on Monday,
Jan 11) with the final report due at the end March [smiles] . the report
about "IT ADOPTION in Indigenous communities in Canada's Far North",
includes a literature review, identifying primary and secondary datasets,
recommending appropriate research methodologies and questions, testing the
methods and questions, and producing findings and recommendations . and all
of this in 3 months.

So you can imagine what our "holiday" season looked like . BUT the great
news (I believe) is we are coming up with some GREAT resources that are
pointing to the importance of community organizations and services in the
development, operation, support, and sustainable aspects of IT Adoption in
Indigenous communities. Obviously, this type of work requires sustained
funding in remote and rural communities. Therefore IMHO the CACTUS position
to the CRTC is once again another way to "level the playing field" between
urban and near urban centres and the remote and rural communities struggling
to access and sustain appropriate connections, technologies and support
services. In particular, I would like to see TC endorse their positions on
community effort:

. In [identifying] which areas of media production it is weakest and needs
to expand services

. How best to distribute content from existing and new production
facilities. This might imply sharing or consolidating facilities in the
college, university, library, community centre, [often non-existing in small
remote and rural communities] existing video co-operative or radio channel
so that all can access a broadcast tower, a high-speed Internet connection,
and the local cable head-end, or it could imply a distributed multi-hub
structure, managed by a single not-for-profit entity that co-ordinates
access across the license area, according to the neighbourhood public
library model [if it exists]. We note that cable community channel services
were once offered according to this model in big cities, where there were as
many as 12 neighbourhood offices throughout Metro Vancouver.

274. The particular solution should be proposed by the community.

275. The CRTC's commendable and innovative role in defending the place of
"the community element" in the broadcasting system (even before Parliament
had legally established its existence under section 3 of the Broadcasting
Act, 1991) must be updated to emphasize ownership and responsibility for the
community channel by communities, not by for-profit entitles selling a
single competitive service offering.

276. Communities can recruit the expertise they need on their own terms to
devise the appropriate technological solutions [LOVE THIS ONE]. The role of
national co-ordinating associations such as CACTUS would be to make sure
effective dissemination of information about such solutions is shared among
communities.

277. We therefore recommend that all BDUs (licensed and exempt) be required
to contribute 2% of their gross revenues to a new fund to support
community-access media production and distribution centres that hold a
community-access television undertaking license. We will refer to this fund
henceforth as the Community-Access Media Fund or CAMF [YES!!].

278. As discussed in more detail in Section VI (Distribution), all BDUs
would also be required to carry the televisual output of these centres, and
would thereby have access to the content generated. The new community-access
media centres would be better resourced and offer a greater range of
programming than was formerly available in the territory on separate
competitive services.

I would like to circulate this information to members of our FMCC team who
are working on the CRTC BSO interventions and our proposal for an
infrastructure fund that would access resources from the present "DEFERRAL
FUND" controlled and accessible only to the telcos (resulting in refunds and
such to telephone customers even though there are still so many unserved and
underserved communities across Canada) . our BSO interventions are available
online at the First Mile web site (http://firstmile.ca) under the FMCC tab.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated .

Woliwon

Brian Beaton

Researcher, First Nations Innovation Project

Doctoral Candidate, Faculty of Education, Critical Studies, University of
New Brunswick

Research Associate, Keewaytinook Okimakanak Research Institute

Settler ally of Indigenous peoples and future generations

Contact Details:

Snail Mail: Box 104, Station A, Unceded Wolastoqey Traditional Lands,
Fredericton, NB, E3B 4Y2

T: 506-261-1344

E:  <mailto:brian.beaton at unb.ca> brian.beaton at unb.ca

 <http://firstmile.ca/> http://firstmile.ca