[Advisors] request to appear at CRTC hearing

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Fri Jan 8 18:03:39 PST 2016

Hello all.  I have been asked (see e-mail at the end) if TC will
participate in an upcoming CRTC hearing as a member of a panel
supporting the submission of CACTUS asking that monies from privately
owned cable operators designated for community channels be released to
the control of a board which would funnel that money towards
community-access media centers.  Most (90%) of this is about
broadcasting (television, some radio) but CACTUS has tried to give it a
modern spin by including, in the description of these centers, some of
the things like digital/media literacy activities, maker spaces and
local economic development.  So, they see these centers as training and
production centers offering hybrids of old and new media.

It is a bit self-serving in places, but they have done an enormous
amount of work on this. In the areas where I understand what is being
proposed, most of it makes sense. But as we weren't part of the
development of this document, I don't really see us reflected in it
either.  That doesn't mean we should not support it. But some input
beyond my own is required.

Also, I would have ask one of you to attend this hearing (Jan. 25). I
can't do it.  I would assume that, if CACTUS wanted our participation
badly enough, they would arrange a travel budget to cover costs (the
CRTC does make provisions for this).

So, should we take on this role? Anybody willing to do it?

Excerpt: CACTUS Intervention, the complete version of which is attached
to this message if you want to take a deeper plunge into it.

273. Our vision is that each community in Canada should be invited to
take inventory of its

current media training and production resources (which might include
film or video

production co-operatives, existing community-operated television or
radio channels, high

school, college or university media training facilities, and former CAP
facilities or maker

spaces in public libraries) and decide:

? In which areas of media production it is weakest and needs to expand
services

? How best to distribute content from existing and new production
facilities. This

might imply sharing or consolidating facilities in the college,
university, library,

community centre, existing video co-operative or radio channel so that
all can

access a broadcast tower, a high-speed Internet connection, and the
local cable

head-end, or it could imply a distributed multi-hub structure, managed by a

single not-for-profit entity that co-ordinates access across the license
area,

according to the neighbourhood public library model. We note that cable

community channel services were once offered according to this model in big

cities, where there were as many as 12 neighbourhood offices throughout
Metro

Vancouver.

274. The particular solution should be proposed by the community.

275. The CRTC's commendable and innovative role in defending the place
of "the community

element" in the broadcasting system (even before Parliament had legally
established its

existence under section 3 of the Broadcasting Act, 1991) must be updated
to emphasize

ownership and responsibility for the community channel by communities,
not by forprofit entitles selling a single competitive service offering.

276. Communities can recruit the expertise they need on their own terms
to devise the

appropriate technological solutions. The role of national co-ordinating
associations such

as CACTUS would be to make sure effective dissemination of information
about such

solutions is shared among communities.

277. We therefore recommend that all BDUs (licensed and exempt) be
required to contribute

2% of their gross revenues to a new fund to support community-access
media production

and distribution centres that hold a community-access television
undertaking license. We

will refer to this fund henceforth as the Community-Access Media Fund or
CAMF.

278. As discussed in more detail in Section VI (Distribution), all BDUs
would also be required

to carry the televisual output of these centres, and would thereby have
access to the

content generated. The new community-access media centres would be
better resourced

and offer a greater range of programming than was formerly available in
the territory on

separate competitive services.