[Advisors] [CommunityInformaticsCanada] RE: Delivering Community Power: A bold vision for an expanded postal service

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 14:46:53 PST 2016

Excellent Alan (and for sure your email came through… :)

And as it happens it was crossing with mine to the folks involved with the Community Power initiative which pointed to a lot of what you folks are already doing… :)

Canada in the late 90’s and through the 00’s pioneered globally in the provision of Internet access services through what were called (in Canada) Community Access Program sites (CAPs) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Access_Program>  and elsewhere called telecentres <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecentre> .  As the cost of local Internet access declined rapidly the immediate requirement (was perceived) as declining as well and the quite successful (particularly in rural areas) CAP program was allowed to whither and eventually effectively die. (There are still a few remnants hanging on using student internship funding <http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cap-pac.nsf/eng/home>  primarily.)

Canada currently has some 75% of the population connected to the Internet the vast bulk of whom are quite content in the services that they are accessing and overall with the experience.  However, a minority of that 75% and perhaps a majority of the 25% not currently having access represent quite a significant number of Canadians with no or inadequate opportunities to access and use the Internet.  For some it is a question of cost and the current unavailability of free (or very low cost) Internet service (except where available in public libraries) is a still very significant problem.  For others it is the cost of purchasing and maintaining a piece of often cranky hardware and software.  For others it is a lack of training in how to use computers/the Internet often because of a lack of English/French skills (immigrant population) or low levels of literacy.  For still others it is a fear of technology and for still others it is an absence of the mechanical devices that will allow those with particular kinds of disabilities to use computers.

If only 10% of the Canadian population (the figure is generally estimated at twice this) fall into one or another of the categories above we are talking about 3.5 million people in all communities in need of some sort of public Internet access and the attendant support.

As well, there are many in communities across Canada—high school and other students, hobbyists, small scale entrepreneurs and inventors who have need to access relatively low cost equipment but equipment which they can individually not afford.  The development of what is being “the Maker Movement <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecentre> ” of those who are looking to “make” technology as well as use it is now widespread and community hubs where activities of this kind can take place are springing up widely but so far only in major centres.

Finally, one of the major problems in the electronic era is electronic waste <http://www.rcbc.ca/resources/additional-resources-links/e-waste> .  There is in most communities a need for a centre where e-waste can be dropped off and where trained staff can refurbish as appropriate and disassemble for scrap as necessary.

All of the above are in many cases an unanswered need in communities big and small (except for the largest) across Canada.  They are in need of a physical space for some of the activities and an organizational/management framework for hiring and supervising (mostly temporary/student) staff.

It seems to me that this is an obvious and mutually beneficial fit with the Community Power vision.

(BTW, it should be noted that one of the initial ideas was to co-locate CAP centres with post offices, but this was evidently rejected at the time because the politicians wanted to be seen cutting ribbons on standalone CAP facilities :(.