[Advisors] Governance, community, and complex adaptive systems

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Tue May 10 08:22:04 PDT 2016

Here's latest in my ongoing attempts to reframe the Internet Governance debate by reference to the changing nature of governance.  In the process of thinking my way forward, I’ve also evolved my understanding of what community networking actually means.  This article encompasses some of that shift.

Garth Graham.  Cooperating community connections: A changing political reality.  The Journal of Community InformaticsVol 12, No 1 (2016).
http://www.ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/article/view/1295

 Abstract: Community Informatics has declared that the global is a federation of locals. James Quilligan has written an essay to the effect that applying such a definition of global requires a world institution of democratic governance. Some members of the community of community informatics researchers have come to a similar conclusion. This essay outlines an alternative interpretation based on complex adaptive systems theory, and with consequent results for a different definition of the individual, the community and their interdependence. It asks the question – where does the predominance of opinion in community informatics about the changing nature of governance and community reside?

GG