[Advisors] cira election -- don't forget to vote

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:10:17 PDT 2016

Marita,

Your final sentence triggers in me again the irritation that I feel towards
CIRA who for most purposes appear to present themselves as the
voice/custodian of the Internet for Canadians while in practice being a
rather closed shop of those with .ca domains which probably represent rather
less than half of all domains owned by Canadians (.org, .com, .net etc.) and
a much much smaller percentage of Canadian Internet users.

I only partially fault CIRA for this... in the absence of any significant CS
organization in Canada representing Internet users (and yes I know about
ISOC Canada (another closed shop) and OpenMedia who do a good job in their
fairly narrow areas of interest) CIRA is pulled by government(s) and the
media in to take on this role but given their behaviour around the Canadian
IGF they seem only too happy to seamlessly exercise that role with all the
perks of influence, prestige and (I'm guessing) financial support that goes
with that.

There is a need for a forum/framework for CS and the Internet in Canada--the
C-IGF could/should provide the foundation for that but CIRA seems quite
content to occupy and monopolize that space from within their own fairly
narrow perspective.