[Advisors] community networks -- a fulsome definition?

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Jun 22 07:28:02 PDT 2017

I really need to submit our definition proposal. Can we go with this
version? Anyone out there with responses to my question re
paid/volunteer time ratio?

Community networks are community-based not-for-profit organizations that
provide urban and rural communities with opportunitiesto explore the
effective use of technology applications in learning, capacity building,
and economic development by:

  *

    having their legal membership open to every citizen of their community;

  *

    examining and addressing issues of access to Information and
    Communications technology to expand and strengthen its effective use
    for citizen and community development.

  *

    promoting initiatives designed to increase local economic and social
    capital by encouraging traditional and media literacy, supporting
    the transition to an “Information Economy,” and supporting
    e-government initiatives.

  *

    empowering citizens by offering Internet related education and
    support systems.

  *

    advocating for equitable and affordable access to electronic
    information and network services.

  *

    facilitating public education and awareness of the issues
    surrounding access to information and network services.