[Advisors] community network def for ARIN -- last version I hope

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Jun 22 10:11:17 PDT 2017

Building on some more  comments from our community, here is my current
version:

For the purposes of ARIN policy #??, community networks are
community-based government-recognized
not-for-profit/non-profit/charitable organizations that provide Internet
access in urban and rural communities. Their goal is to enable the
effective use of information and communications technologies in
learning, capacity building, and economic development. Critical
functions will usually be handled by paid staff, but volunteers play a
large role in offering the many services available through community
networks. Although always reflecting the needs of their unique contexts,
community networks will engage in the some of the following activities:

  *

    examining and addressing issues of access to technology in the
    community;

  *

    promoting initiatives designed to increase local economic and social
    capital by encouraging digital literacy, supporting the transition
    to an “Information Economy,” and supporting e-government initiatives.

  *

    empowering citizens by offering Internet related education and
    support systems.

  *

    facilitating public education and awareness of the issues
    surrounding equitable and affordable access to information and
    network services.