[Advisors] ISOC revives discussions on community networks

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Tue Aug 28 12:48:02 PDT 2018

Hello advisors. I came across this notice (below) from Brian Beaton too
late to attend the webinar. But the two papers released by the Internet
Society (ISOC) on Unleashing Community Networks and Spectrum Approaches
to Community Networks (see below for links) are valuable additions to
the literature about the continuing importance of community networks
around the world and the barriers that exist and how to address them.

I think we can all probably get behind the definition of community
networks in these documents. "Community networks refer to
telecommunications infrastructure deployed and operated by a local group
to meet their own communication needs. They are the result of people
working together, combining their resources, organizing their efforts,
and connecting themselves to close connectivity and cultural gaps."

I wonder how we might be able to build on the base ISOC is creating here
to further community networking discussions and policies here in Canada.
We don't see these terms used much anymore although the job is far from
finished.

Comments?

Marita