[Advisors] rightscon declaration from Toronto mtg.

James Van Leeuwen jvl at ventus.ca
Tue May 22 11:23:40 PDT 2018

"Inclusion, diversity and equity entails the active participation of, and meaningful consultation with, a diverse community to ensure that machine learning systems are designed and used in ways that respect non-discrimination, equality and other human rights."

This is the closing sentence of the Declaration, with the first and only mention of ‘community’ in any context.

It perpetuates a counterproductive status quo of advocacy and capacity building from the top down rather than the bottom up.

To be optimally meaningful and effective, the Declaration should revolve around community as the principal form of agency for responding to technological, social and economic change and the opportunities and risks that it presents.

In other words, the Declaration needs to be primarily and explicitly focused on building capacity at the community level, with policy development at the government level in support.

To answer Brian's question, I don’t think it serves TC’s interests to sign the Declaration.

I do see merit in TC taking a constructive and explicit position on the Declaration, perhaps along the lines of what I've written above… thoughts welcome.

JvL