[Advisors] Questions from ICANN about privacy issues

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Mon Nov 26 17:38:02 PST 2018

Dear advisors. The past year has seen a major battle at the
international level around how much data should be released about
holders of domains. If you have a .ca domain, your privacy is already
shielded. But if you have a .com or other gTLD, anyone can search the
WhoIs database for your information. It has been like this for years.

But we live in a globalized world. New European privacy regulations are
now forcing ICANN to reconsider what information should be available
about domain holders. It is a fierce battle, pitching civil rights
advocates against intellectual property lawyers and public security
officials with the interests of 4 billion end users hanging somewhere in
the balance. An ICANN policy group which has been trying to resolve the
issues has just released a report asking for comments.

It is complicated but the following, very well written blog does a good
job at explaining the major issues and how their resolution will affect
every internet user, not just domain name holders. It is not without
bias and some who argue on the side of public safety may find it wanting
in that perspective. But I haven't found a similiar document from other
perspectives. So, place your own filter as need be.

Whois-privacy reform hits its first milestone (Milton Mueller --
Internet Governance Project)

https://www.internetgovernance.org/2018/11/25/whois-privacy-reform-hits-its-first-milestone/

During the next few weeks, volunteers in the At Large policy working
group will be crafting a response to the report discussed. At ICANN, At
Large has the responsibility to speak on behalf of the world's 4 billion
internet users. Of course, it will always be a "best guess" situation.
However, if anyone here would be interested in commenting  on how they
feel about the issue outlined -- as your representative there, I would
love to be able to bring these to the table.