[Advisors] TLD governance (was Re: CIRA elections -- no my turn this time)

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Oct 11 14:20:29 PDT 2018

Oh my, we certainly started something here. I totally agree with Evan
about CIRA being one of the best run country code domain names in the
world but it could be more transparent -- there's nothing to fear. It is
mostly all good news.

As for your diatribe against ICANN, Evan, many of the things you point
out are true. I won't deny it. And I will go beyond that. I see major
U.S. interests desperately trying to keep control over the ICANN policy
while the rest of the world is increasingly pushing back. ICANN's
desperate attempts to wiggle out of the constraints presented by the new
European General Data Protection Laws are a case in point.

But, as hard pressed as it is it is to be effective, civil society does,
at least, play an official role there. You suggest that it is all a
grand illusion? Perhaps. Time will tell. But there are a lot of people
working very very hard, volunteers putting in thousands of hours, in
order to mitigate some of the effects you noted. I think these people
deserve our respect. They don't just do it for travel chits. A lot
cheaper and fewer headaches to buy your own ticket -- you could sling
burgers at MacDonald's for a fraction of the time you put into ICANN
activities to pay for it, if you need to. They do it because they see
the same things you see and want to hold back that tide.

And, with respect to your criticism of At-large, I just spent dozens of
hours working on policy concerning community applications for new gTLDs.
And I am working hard with others on protecting some categories of geo
names from being scooped up by investors so they can turn around and
sell it back to the rightful owner. So I am feeling a little slighted by
your "fearful of losing its travel allowance that it spends nearly zero
effort on proactive ICANN policy and even less on public education"
description. I know you have done this policy work as well. And maybe,
after 6 years, I will be where you are on the optimism/pessimism scale.
I came into this fully aware of the criticisms, the high burn out rate,
the difficulty of moving things forward.  You and I have talked about
this before.

To me, ICANN is an honest experiment to do things differently. It is far
far from perfect. And I suggest that the world does not know how to do
what is currently being attempted there. And it may turn out to be
unsustainable. But, if we are going to live in a globalized world where,
because of the communications facilities we have developed, borders are
increasingly hard to enforce, we better start figuring out new ways to
manage. And this is an attempt to learn our way forward.

Namasté

Marita