[Advisors] Making the best use of our resources

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Fri Oct 12 14:37:56 PDT 2018

Hello all. We have been having a very interesting discussion about civil
society participation in internet governance via ICANN's structures and
it's been a lot of bad news. And I won't argue with the evidence that
says the system is rigged against civil society success. But that's
pretty old news. When have citizens NOT had to fight against powerful
interests for their fair share of the pie.

The thing is, we have more influence than we think. We can band
together. We have a lot of expertise among us, great ideas and wide
networks. We have an organization, we don't need to create another one.
And TC, as a group, is pretty close to the mythical "end users" the
multistakeholder system is so desperately wanting to connect with. A few
of our member organizations, Vancouver Community Network & Ottawa
Freenet for example, are composed of thousands of end users. Believe it
or not, that, by itself, is quite powerful. We do have a right to speak
in both national and international fora and I never feel like I am
standing alone - although I often wish I could have more evidence to
wave around. We may not have any money, but we do have resources that
are hard to buy. So what can we do with that?

We probably can't turn ICANN around .. at least not in the short term.
But we can do education and advocacy -- we can collect data, take
positions, speak to government reps, participate in events, build up
knowledge about internet governance in our own community, support each
other, and do a lot more sharing than we have been doing lately to
fortify our positions. TC getting involved with larger projects like
ICANN does, in the end, boost our position at home, even if we don't
manage to change the world on our tour of duty.

Just a couple of upcoming meetings to keep on your radar. There will be
a Canadian Internet Forum in either Ottawa or Toronto (Toronto seems
likely) in late February as well as an ICANN meeting in Montreal next
October. There will be lots of ways to participate. Maybe we can find
ways to get more of our community to those meetings -- both in person
and virtually.