[Advisors] Where's community networking in the 5G debate?

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Tue Jun 25 14:57:09 PDT 2019

Telecoms press Ottawa to intervene in construction disputes over 5G
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-cable-companies-ask-ottawa-to-intervene-in-disputes-over-access-to/

Never mind conflicts with municipalities and utilities, what about communities?  Has anyone this list seen any examples of a community -based point of view being expressed in the debates on 5G and its relationship to the Internet of Things?  To me, local capacity to access the data that models the relationships a community has to the place it inhabits is already a critical and absent resource. I suspect to insure that occurs, you must own the local loop. To give an example, I recently had a lengthy discussion with a developer and and engineer building a 20 unit apartment building whose energy and utility costs will be less than  a standards built single family in the same jurisdiction.  They can achieve that level of efficiency because they own the network that operates the building and thus the model that allows for learning from its operation.  The building is both fully urban and off the grid.  I haven’t seen even the slightest hint of awareness that this is a problem (and, yes, I’m following the Toronto debate).  Everything about the roll out of 5G screams that unto those who have infrastructure even more infrastructure will be given, until even the individual and the community accept that their only purpose in being is to serve as commodities in the economy.

GG