[Advisors] ICANN update and Broadband Breakfast Live Online Series

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed Apr 1 06:18:42 PDT 2020

Hello advisors. It is a difficult time for all of us -- stuck in our
homes and tied to our computers -- hoping to keep this virus away from
our family, friends and neighbours. I wish us all the strength to
persevere as this too will one day pass.

Here is a little update on ICANN: The most recent ICANN meeting
(scheduled for Cancun in early March) was downsized and virtualized --
so I spent my first days in isolation attending five days of Zoom
meetings. I fully expect the next meeting (scheduled for Kuala Lumpar in
June) to be virtualized as well. The March meeting was barebones and
focussed on crucial issues like DNS abuse, data protection and security
issues. It was held in a convenient timezone for North Americans and was
very well attended.  There was lots abilty to interact, ask questions,
etc. As a major meeting completely reorganized over the space of two
weeks, it was quite successful == although it is not meant to be a long
term strategy. It has always been possible to attend ICANN public
meetings virtually, but the user experience will probably be vastly
improved.

Below please find some links to a broadband breakfast series that might
be of interest.  It is U.S. based and something in Canada along this
line would probably be useful. The importance of universal broadband can
not be overstated