[Advisors] Get Canada connected coalition

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Mon Jun 29 07:04:59 PDT 2020

Hi Evan and thanks for your response. I actually do not think ICANN will
come out of this with the same meeting scenario -- 3 public
international gatherings somewhere in the world every year. I am pushing
for more work to be done at the regional/local level. Use some of the
approx. 2 1/2M US$ saved with each virtual meeting to bring ICANN's
multistakeholder model to end users where they live. More people can
participate that way -- but first they have to know about it.

CIRA (and ISOC Canada) is running the Canadian Internet Governance Forum
each year (this year virtual in the fall) -- which does bring these
internet governance discussions closer to home. But that is a discussion
platform. ICANN actually has a decision-making role -- as you say, the
PIR controversy was a good example of how the the future can evolve in
the favour of public interest but it still takes a huge effort.

Marita